Replacing Hormann garage door lock - without the key

Discussion in 'Windows and Doors' started by jwruk, 15 Apr 2008.

1. jwruk

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    As the title, I've got a Hormann garage door fitted but the previous owners of the property appear to have lost the key! Access to the garage is ok via a side door, but I'd really like to replace the lock barrel with a new one (complete with keys).

I know that normally it's a case of removing the securing screw, use an existing key to turn the lock slightly so the cam is aligned and then remove the whole unit, but I have no key for step 2.

Would a key from another Hormann door provide enough 'turn' to align the cam or is it a locksmith job?

Thanks in advance for any positive reponses.

2. JohnD

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
  3. HandyHands

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    If its operated by a single euro cylinder, then my advice would be to call a locksmith to open/remove it, and they can also supply a replacement. Call around a few places, and compare this against replacing the entire handle mechanism - which will come with a new euro cylinder/keys. Ebay are usually a good source for garage door handles/locks.

Just seen where you are located - I can give you the number of a good guy who'll open the lock for you, and supply a replacement if required ;)

4. jwruk

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I thought you might say that. How much does it cost someone to drive up to Bolsover?

5. yandownie

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    its a simple job,expect to pay around 30-40 labour and 10-15 for a new barrel at most,not cheap but at least it will be done properly.try www.locksmiths.co.uk for someone nearest to you.