Replacing immersion heater flex outlet with socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

We have removed our hot water cylinder (due to new boiler). I am left with nice size cupboard. The flex outlet for the old cylinder is still there. It is wired from the CU in 2.5mm t&e, protected by a 32A MCB. Any reason why I can't replace this with a single socket?

Cheers...

Sponsored Links
Reg_Prescott said:
Hi All,

We have removed our hot water cylinder (due to new boiler). I am left with nice size cupboard. The flex outlet for the old cylinder is still there. It is wired from the CU in 2.5mm t&e, protected by a 32A MCB. Any reason why I can't replace this with a single socket?

Cheers...

One simple reason not to is because it is dangerous. 2.5mm² t&e has a max current rating of 27A. I guess you could argue a single socket can only draw 13A so it is ok but in my opinion that isn't good enough.

Where was the cylinder? If it is not in the bathroom then change the fuse to 20A and then you can fit that socket.

Sponsored Links
The old immersion supply wasn't on the ring was it? Either it was, or it has the wrong fuse (which Davy Owen mentioned you can replace with a 20A fuse).

Hi,

The cylinder was in the bedroom in an airing cupboard. It was on its own cct not on the ring. But the MCB is definately 32A. The cable looked like 2.5mm (from memory - I will have to check).

Does it sound like the wrong MCB has been used? or could I have got the size of cable wrong - would an immersion heater ever be wired using 4mm cable and a 32A MCB?

It is unlikey that the immersion is wired in anything other than 2.5mm² cable.

You probably just have the wrong sized fuse in the CU.

Would you feel confident to replace this yourself with a 16A fuse?
(We will guide you through the process)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back