Replacing Intellisense alarm battery

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Need to replace alarm battery, keypad is functioning, alarm not setting and the alarm outside is stuck flashing. Have not done much DIY work with electric, im assuming if i turn off the sockets for the room the alarm box is in, im safe?

also, alarm box lid seems to be attached on a wire? not sure whats going on there, as well as the tamper alarm not going off as well.

if someone can help, greatly appreciated, obviously dont want to put myself in risk

TIA

Sponsored Links
Always isolate the mains power safety when working a system which you are unsure of any faults.
Flashing strobe can mean various faults eg, faulty battery, tamper fault etc.
If tampers are not activating then they may not be connected or linked out.
Not sure what you mean be wire attached to box lid?
Best to post photo so we can advise.
Control panel may require reboot if not responding correctly.
If you do not feel confident to sort,then get someone who is competent.

Last edited:
Alas if your asking about your own safety wrt to electrics you probably don’t have the means to check it’s safe.

If the alarm was done properly there should be a fused spur between the panel and the incoming power to the panel from a circuit or directly from the consumer unit.

There are no guarantee it feeds off the lights, sockets or other circuit in the property.

Or that it’s connected across two MCBs in the consumer unit because someone somewhere had joined them together somewhere in the house.

A flashing alarm box usually indicates that a panel has not been reset after activation.

Performing arrest usually stops it from flashing, however if the alarm system is still in fault then the bell could be retriggered.

Sponsored Links
Always isolate the mains power safety when working a system which you are unsure of any faults.
Flashing strobe can mean various faults eg, faulty battery, tamper fault etc.
If tampers are not activating then they may not be connected or linked out.
Not sure what you mean be wire attached to box lid?
Best to post photo so we can advise.
Control panel may require reboot if not responding correctly.
If you do not feel confident to sort,then get someone who is competent.

I can try and get some photos

replacing the battery seemed pretty easy (ur told to just not touch the transformer), but yeah since ive no idea and ive no equipment to test that theres no power going through it it may be best to just get someone called out.

Alas if your asking about your own safety wrt to electrics you probably don’t have the means to check it’s safe.

If the alarm was done properly there should be a fused spur between the panel and the incoming power to the panel from a circuit or directly from the consumer unit.

There are no guarantee it feeds off the lights, sockets or other circuit in the property.

Or that it’s connected across two MCBs in the consumer unit because someone somewhere had joined them together somewhere in the house.

A flashing alarm box usually indicates that a panel has not been reset after activation.

Performing arrest usually stops it from flashing, however if the alarm system is still in fault then the bell could be retriggered.

again yeah ive not done anything like this. What I meant by the flashing was the outdoor alarm, that's stuck flashing.

nothing is labelled on the fuse box for the alarm, shame theres no isolation switch or anything similar.

leds flash according to the state of the bell box on some models, and flashes (strobe) due to system not being reset we are going to struggle to help you (be more specific) without images or videos.

I currently have no idea what type of flashing your referring to for certain.

When you say ….alarm not setting …is it making a two tone noise ? ( asking for a reset ) ? enter code followed by # to reset system , now see if it will set

When you say ….alarm not setting …is it making a two tone noise ? ( asking for a reset ) ? enter code followed by # to reset system , now see if it will set
tried that, keypad functional but not setting, assuming battery has drained or something
leds flash according to the state of the bell box on some models, and flashes (strobe) due to system not being reset we are going to struggle to help you (be more specific) without images or videos.

I currently have no idea what type of flashing your referring to for certain.
the outdoor house alarm, thats strobing.

Think this needs to be done is small steps.

What is the system doing now?
Including Keypad display sounders internal and external

What happens when you do the reset?

What lights are lit on keypad when trying to set.
all, its as normal but just not setting.

Is there a panic alarm on the system ? Is it pressed in ?
not to my knowledge.

Think this needs to be done is small steps.

What is the system doing now?

What happens when you do the reset?
keypad is as normal, sounds and lights up.
sounders arent sounding obviously since the alarm wont anything past the keypad
external outside is flashing

cannot do the reset. keypad sounds however when i press the hash key obviously it does nothing .

Have you got mains led light and day light led lit on keypad ?
Any other leds lit up?

Have you got mains led light and day light led lit on keypad ?
Any other leds lit up?
mains and day light and zones off rest is fine.

assuming the box is switched off at the mains then?

Mains light should be lit if mains power on,if off you are on battery back up.
What are rest is fine ?
Is the tamper trb light lit ?
Just say exactly what leds are lit up or take photo of keypad so we can see.
You need to tell us the answers to our questions,so we can advise you.
The rest is fine means nothing to us.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back