replacing lead mains

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i need to replace the cold mains supply to my house.

i know i have to dig a 30" deep trench across my garden to the boundary but the problem is where it enters the house.

Currently it enters up through the kitchen floor in the corner.

my kitchen floor about 3 feet above ground level and has a concrete floor with no access under it and i assume its filled as there are no air bricks.

Do i need to dig a hole down through the floor to bring the new pipe in to my kitchen ?

Sponsored Links
Theres no law says that you have to bring it in at the same point!
Unfortunately the pipe must enter the property at 30" below ground level outside and also be sleeved! You can get proprietary sleeves or use 2½" rainwater pipe to protect the new water service under the footings.

Slugbabydotcom said:
You can get proprietary sleeves or use 2½" rainwater pipe to protect the new water service under the footings.

Minimum duct size should be 75mm (approx 3"), ideally 100mm. You need to allow for wihdrawal of the pipe if necessary and space for the insulation.

Speak to your water supplier - Severn Trent used to specify size of pipe/duct and the full run to the boundary had to be ducted. Duct was big enough to take a plastic compression fiting for the 1" pipe.

I had to fit the new pipe and connect to the lead at the boundary (needed to maintain service), they came out and did the last foot to the main (IIRC i was not allowed to connect to their pipe outside my property). At the time they had a meter fitting programme so their work did not cost a penny!

They also wanted to check that it was buried deep enough so don't fill in the trench until you have spoken to them.

If you follow the route the lead takes what you get for it when you weigh it in will probably pay for the plastic!

Sponsored Links
I`d say Definitely pay ;) and if it was soft copper ....... :eek:

Slugbabydotcom said:
Theres no law says that you have to bring it in at the same point!
Unfortunately the pipe must enter the property at 30" below ground level outside and also be sleeved! You can get proprietary sleeves or use 2½" rainwater pipe to protect the new water service under the footings.

The rest of my house has suspended floors and has a space about 2 and a half feet between ground level and the floor.

can i bring it in under one of those floors and then lag the section that is exposed under the floor ?

Yes, suspended floors make replacing pipes easier.

Make sure that the pipe is insulated within the underfloor space, and that it is clipped securely (if using 25mmPE then you must clip it every 0.5m).

You will still require a duct to pass through the footings and this should happen 750mm below the outside finished ground level. The duct should be sealed at both ends to prevent ingress (water or bugs/rats etc).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back