Replacing lightswitches.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to replace my manky old plastic light switches with brass ones. I know the topic is covered here but I'm not sure of my capabilities.
How easy is it for a novice? Not even sure of getting the right ones. If I don't do it myself, could I trust it to a handyman 'all rounder' or would it be best left to an electrician?
Cheers

Sponsored Links
Its easy.

Rule 1. Take a photo of each switch before you undo any wires.
Rule 2. If you are using metal switches then you MUST connect the earth wire(s) to this. You cannot use metal switches if you have no earth wire at the light switch.

Anyone can do it. Doesnt need a PhD in Electrical Engineering.

Sponsored Links
How does the 'novice' confirm the actual precence of a functioning earth?

KA
Just what I was wondering and didn't like to ask. This cottage was previously owned by Messrs Dodge it and Bodge it. Ie even I knew when I moved in that having a double electric socket touching base with the kitchen sink directly behind the taps was not a good idea. Who knows what is behind those switches? :eek:

The thing you need to know is what type of switches you need in each room.

You see, what appears to be a single light switch could be a one way switch, a 2 way switch, or an intermediate.

A one way switch has two terminals.

A two way switch has three terminals.

An intermediate switch has four terminals.

A two way switch can be used instead of a one way switch.

Two gang or three gang switches very usually consist of two way switches.

As said, you must have a working earth at metal switches.

If the previous owner did dodgy electrical work, I'd be wary of trusting them for earth continuity. Buy yourself a voltage/continuity tester or multimeter.

//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting
I must be missing the section on 'testing for functional earth' or do you just not bother ?KA
You're certainly missing something.

I did not post the link for that purpose but to help the OP.

Perhaps you could do that more often.

You could post how to test the earthing.

Edit - corrected quotes

Easy- call an electrician, who has the approprate test kit.There you go !

The OP is a 'novice' by his own addmission, why would I advise anything other than get professional assistance. :mad:

KA

Because even a novice with a £10 multimeter can safely test for earth continuity

This is a DIY forum, and whenever something comes up that you do not understand (which is FREQUENTLY) you either give incorrect advice, or just resort to 'calling an electrician'

If you test earthing with £10.00 meter, that's up to you.

Perhaps you should call an electrician

DIY Site ? I don't think so, not……….

KA

Clearly I do not test earthing with a £10 multimeter, I don't even own a £10 multimeter.

Perhaps you would care to share with the rest of the group, how YOU would test for earth continuity at a light switch.........

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back