Replacing Megaflo Heater Element

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a Megaflo 170 D and I need to replace the lower of the two heater elements.

I have bought a replacment element, but to fit it I must need to drain the cylinder so the water level is below the level of the element, to avoid wet floor???

How easy or difficult is this to do? If easy I would have a go myself.

Appreciate anyones help.

Cheers,

Scott ;)

Sponsored Links
Its quite easy I would say as someone who does it often.

Strictly speaking however that job should only be done by someone who holds an Unvented Cylinder Certificate.

Tony Glazier

Thanks for quick response.

Would you suggest me getting a professional to do it?

If so how long does it take and roughly what would be the cost?

Reason I ask is because I dont live in the property and the tenants will want to know so as to arrange appropriate time?

Cost wise just curious how much lighter my wallet will be?

Cheers again.

I would allow about 1.25 hours and charge about £84 plus the cost of the element which is probably about £25.

Part of the problem is draining it, the drain cock may be jammed and its necessary to have a hose route which does not rise up above the drain point so that it falls to the outlet.

Tony Glazier

Sponsored Links
My M8 is in Surrey and has the Unvented cert ;)

I expect that ChrisR also has the unvented and he is also in Surrey.

However as he has pointed out before, Surrey is a large county!

Tony

Agile said:
I would allow about 1.25 hours and charge about £84 plus the cost of the element which is probably about £25.

Part of the problem is draining it, the drain cock may be jammed and its necessary to have a hose route which does not rise up above the drain point so that it falls to the outlet.

Tony Glazier

I have found the element is significantly dearer than this.

It wont matter if the hose rises above the drain point as it will act as a siphon if the outlet is low, and the TPR is held open or a hot tap is opened.

IF it helps, I've wondered whether to call myself
Wimbliton plumbing or
Surbledon plumbing...

"""It wont matter if the hose rises above the drain point as it will act as a siphon if the outlet is low, and the TPR is held open or a hot tap is opened."""

Thats wonderful in theory!

In my unfortunate practical world I find the screw of the drain cock leaks so badly that water comes out at first and as the level falls below the highest point of the hose then air is sucked into the drain cock and destroys that lovely syphonic action.

Another problem is the cock washer is often bad and will not allow much flow and to keep up ther siphon action it is necessary to restrict the hose output.

I prefer to stay clear of those jobs and let the boys do them!

Tony

A push-on rubber cap over the top of the drain cock fixes that in my unfortunately practical world. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back