Replacing monitored ADT alarm with Texicom Premier Elite 24

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

As per the title we currently have an ADT monitored Alarm (installed 12 years ago) which we are planning to replace (no longer need monitoring, so cost not worthwhile). Same keypad as here:

https://www.diynot.com/diy/media/ademco-accord-xpc-icon-rkp.34007/

From initial research Texicom Premier Elite seems like a decent option, particularly if we want online/app control.

Has anyone had any experience swapping an ADT alarm for the Premier Elite? I have previously installed an Accenta in my own home, so have some experience. And professional experience in software/hardware design means I'm not a total laymen. So far I'm going on the following assumptions:

1) Main panel and keypad will obviously need replacing.
2) I can use existing wiring between main panel and keypad.
2) PIR's, door, window sensor should be reusable.
3) Bell box/inernal sounder I'm unsure about, although retailer has suggested should be able to reuse the ADT one.
4) I can reuse existing wiring between main panel and PIR/Sensors if they need replacing.
5) Need COM2400 Voice for voice calls.
6) Also need IP module for online/app control
7) How do I deal with ADT? Do I just cancel service and start replacing? Or should I get them to disable it so it bell doesnt go off when I pull the panel.

I'll double check the exact panel when I'm next there.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
All the wiring should be ok
The outside bellbox may be just a dummy ( internal only) so you may have to run a cable , power down the system and swop over

Don't forget there will be a charge involved for breaking the contract with ADT and or a period of notice is usually required, I believe 3mths is the norm.

Good luck.

Sponsored Links
Don't forget there will be a charge involved for breaking the contract with ADT and or a period of notice is usually required, I believe 3mths is the norm.

Good luck.

I've spoken to them and given notice. It is 3 months :/ but got busy Dec/Jan so may just tell them to disable it early.

All the wiring should be ok
The outside bellbox may be just a dummy ( internal only) so you may have to run a cable , power down the system and swop over

One of the two bell boxes is real. We specified it that way.

Would prefer to keep the ADT bell box if possible. Not only due to cost, but think it has more effect then OEM one as perspective burglars may think its monitored.

Any idea how much we should expect to pay for professional install, with existing wiring and sensors. Guess half a days labour for one guy.

The main panel would need to be moved from airing cupboard (where ADT stupidly installed in and as a result they keep replacing the battery for free) to neighbouring cupboard. This would mean pulling up wiring into loft and dropping into other cupboard, or just cutting in loft and bridging there.

Full day !
May be cheaper to fit expander in cupboard and move control panel

Full day !
May be cheaper to fit expander in cupboard and move control panel

You mean just bridge the wires in the airing cupboard? Then run new wiring up through loft to cupboard where panel is to go. Or purchase an 8 zone expander (which stays in airing cupboard) and then less wires need to go to other cupboard.

The two cupboards are about 3 ft apart (separated by corridor, but could go through loft where wires come in anyway), so even if expander is driven by DC from panel, distance shouldn't be an issue. Idiot ADT installers stuck it in the airing cupboard and as a result battery fails every year or two and they end up having to replace for free. Obviously if its going to be my equipment I want to correct this now.

What kind of ball park should I be looking for full day, labour only plus London Tax ofcourse :D

If wires come from above and there's length on them to reach the other cupboard then just move the lot , but if they come from below as well it works out cheaper to fit an expander than joining cables

Thanks, i'll double check the wiring and grab an expander based on what I find.

Couple of furter questions for anyone with experience of the Premier Elite.

1) The kit i'm looking at comes with the com2400, which I presume would send SMS over a BT line?
2) One of the reasons I'm picking this alarm is online/app control. I understand from supplier I spoke to you need the new IP module for App functionality? Has anyone got the model number?
3) Was considering the voice dialer, but since all notifications will be to mobiles guess the com2400 would be ok. And if investing probably better to get GSM dialer/SMS unit in case phone line is tampered with. Another alternative would be GSM backed up router, but suspect pay go SIM in GSM SMS unit would be simpler and less maintenance.
4) Anyone recommend a good/cheap supplier. I do have design/software company so could possibly work with trade supplier as well. But retail would probably be simpler as trade suppliers may also want to look at our actual trade.

Smart com ....but only available on hardwired at the moment AND iPhone , not android
Com Gsm around £130 plus vat ...plus SIM card if you where concerned about the loss of the phone line

Smart com ....but only available on hardwired at the moment AND iPhone , not android
Com Gsm around £130 plus vat ...plus SIM card if you where concerned about the loss of the phone line

Cheers, no issue with wired, wouldn't want to run it wireless anyway. And also we're all iPhone anyway.

Any cheaper options for GSM com unit? Presume it doesn't have to be their own, it will just be triggered by output from panel. At those prices will either leave it or opt for GSM backup for my router instead. That way cameras would stay up as well if phone line is cut. And can act as backup internet if ISP screws up (have had BT engineer accidentally pull our line before and reallocate).

You can ....but you won't get zone descriptions sent

Ok thats not a big issue, will have the App for that. The SMS is more for key holders who wouldn't really pay attention to what zones gone off/etc anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back