replacing my thermal store and boiler…Help in specifying

Status
Not open for further replies.
bollofix pump valves that leaked

Before or after you looked at them with a screwdriver in your hand?.... most wouldn't turn anyway.
Exactly these pair of complete ****s don't have a fecking clue on how real life and working on actual real boilers works.
All their theoretical bullsh1t doesn't actually work in the real,practical world that we actually live in.

Sponsored Links
In theory @Dan Robinson setting fire to my oak floor would keep me warm.
The house might burn down and the wife may never speak to me again.
Result is I'm warm and possibly happy.

Sponsored Links
Sent Max to service an old SW Select 45RS yesterday - poor fecker didn't know what to do with himself... the boiler is older than he is :D.

Clean as a whistle though - we've serviced it every year since 2004.

My Mexico 120 Rs was great 37 years old Gravity hw and pumped central heating.
Water was like black oil in the rads, I've been there 11 years and never touched it.
New vogue 40kw combi in last 18 months with underfloor/rads/unvented etc and hasn't put a foot wrong.
Have about 40m of older system pipe work and 3 old rads that I've not changed and I've topped pressure up by .2 bar once.
I even used the old 28mm revolvers to my old gravity cylinder to feed my new upstairs rads.
Would have dealt with the consequences if it hadn't worked. But just shows that 40yr old soldering never fails.
Wonder how long plastic ****e systems will last?

That Domestic #3 was still going strong after what? 75 years? never did get around to billing the training centre :LOL:.

No eastern block circuit boards in that ;).

Feckin SystemMates :LOL: Suppose one saving grace is it has a Classic, or maybe a Profile driving it. So something would be salvageable when the fanboy (or is it Fannybaws?) realises he is on borrowed time.

They were that good that even the classics didn't work with them and had to get a higher thermostat as they couldn't achieve the 78deg required for the store when set at 80deg max on the boiler.
But again I know nothing about how they work apparently.

They were that good that even the classics didn't work with them and had to get a higher thermostat as they couldn't achieve the 78deg required for the store when set at 80deg max on the boiler.
But again I know nothing about how they work apparently.

Despite all that intelligence programmed into their control logic.

Pah. And there was me thinking the Classic was one of the best boilers ever produced.

The rest on my service book shall be condemned asap as they're obviously not fit for purpose.

Davie Jones wrote: Yeah, the first batch of Elok boards for the electramate would go through one heat cycle and then fry themselves.. Top quality commie shyte.

The second batch never. The Czech were not commies by then. The Czechs are famous for their engineering an innovation.

The second batch never. The Czech were not commies by then. The Czechs are famous for their engineering an innovation.

So they sent out the first batch without bothering to test the design correctly? Is that what you call innovative engineering?

Back in your box Himaginn....

The Czechs are famous for their engineering an innovation.

Also the Polish engineers.

Because the availability of hardware was very limited in the Eastern Bloc the software that Eastern Bloc engineers and code writers produced was designed to run on minimum amounts of memory ( both RAM and BIOS ROM ). Clean and minimalist concise code that did the functions required but without the bloatware and in-efficient code that so many western companies produced.

But it is true that the hardware, both components and PCB assembly, in the Eastern Bloc was not the best.

Eastern software running on Western hardware was a good combination.

:LOL: Care in the community at its finest.

This was the way we did much the same with a simple thermal store. Didn't have the predictive bit - which is pure marketing hype for gullible pillocks.

View attachment 96879

Add this:
View attachment 96880

And hey presto - hot water.
View attachment 96879
View attachment 96880
You make me larf again. How crude. A simple latching relay and another cylinder thermostat to operate in summer? The programmer. Is 'ON' for space heating? It is confusing around the time switching.

You have no using the heating pump as a shunt to get more energy into the cylinder.
No predictive logic to minimise the boiler switching in.
You do not hold off the heating to a fast reheat for hot water.
No LED to see the temperatures of the sensors.
No individual control of the heating and hot water.
The hot water pump is not variable speed so will pump at maximum speed hot water into the bottom of the cylinder destroying stratification.
You do not show the heating side, or heating pump or an expensive and troublesome 3-way valve.
The user has to know the settings on the thermostats.

So you will have:

1. An expensive mechanical blending valve.
2. An expensive mechanical/electric flow switch.
3. THREE expensive rod type thermostats.
4. THREE expensive thermostat pockets in the cylinder.
5. A relay.
6. A wiring box.
7. An ugly round cylinder while the Systemate has a neat highly insulated box with controls behind a door.

All that is very expensive to what the Systemate has

The Systemate has:

1. Three GRundfos pumps.
2. three temperature sensors.
3. a pcb.

That is it!!! And it does the hot water and space heating.

The cost? Three temperature sensors about £50 and a pcb of about £214. Less than £300. Far cheaper than the crude setup you showed. If you do thermal stores consider a Ekok pcb. They are readily available.

What the pcb does:
  1. The microprocessor pcb is self adaptive in that it learns the speed in which the boiler re-heats the cylinder and times the boiler to come in to re-heat right on time. This saves fuel and reduces boiler cycling.
  2. It holds off the CH pump when re-heating the cylinder to give priority for fast hot water production, holding off the CH pump until the stored water is over 60C, then the CH pump is allowed to come in and take heat from the boiler to the rads.
  3. It also learns the maximum temperature the boiler can give setting its own thermal store cylinder setpoint temperature.
  4. If the boiler can only heat to 78C it sets it at that. It heats the stored water from 76C to 82C determining the setpoint.
  5. The temperature of the stored water has to drop considerably before the pcb will bring in the boiler to reheat the cylinder preventing inefficient boiler cycling.
  6. The cylinder heating coil is large and will return very cool water back to the boiler so it works very well with condensing boilers, even models with modulating burners.
  7. It only returns cool water back to the cylinder when the hot water pumps operates maintaining stratification which holds off the boiler for longer before reheat.
  8. It uses the hot water pump as shunt pump to get more energy into the cylinder and no separate pump needed.
Your crude, expensive, thermostats and relay and all the rest can't hope to do what the pcb on the Systemate does. You don't even need to set anything on the Systemate it does it all. Fire and forget. And just three sensors and pcb do it brilliantly.

Last edited:
Don't you have a job?

Or are you another retired Bernard needing to fill your day?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back