replacing new sink unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all, in the middle of fitting a new kitchen. got to the sink unit, want to do a better job than the previous owner who has cut a groove from the end of the base to the centre to slide the unit in because the main water line with stopcock somehow just comes up from the ground smack in the middle of the sink unit.

will i be able to disconnect the waterworks from the stopcock and connect a flexipipe, so i can place the stopcock beneath the unit and use the flexipipe to reconnect it back to the waterworks from behind the base of the base unit?

is there a specific type of piping i need to use ( seen some kind that is not suitable for drinking water and some are wat does this mean?) so i don't contaminate the main water supply? maybe stupid question, but i think there is a chance of this if u use a bathroom tap in a kitchen instead of a proper kitchen tap.

should have found this site earlier. may have to go in blindly, dreading the earth wiring. will turn off mains first, just in case. i'll turn it back on once everything is connected back up. will be great to get any sort of advice on topic. thank you.

Sponsored Links
IMO using a flexi in that situation is a real botch, regardless of any water regs.

Flexis have both a very restricted bore, and a short life expectancy compared with rigid pipework, plastic or copper.

Why not take the opportunity to shut off the external stop tap, strip out the offending internal pipework, and replace it with rigid pipework run in the services void behind the units, and an internal stop tap properly mounted in an accessible position, so the handle appears through an appropriate hole in the back when the unit is finally positioned?

Some may choose to leave the existing internal stop tap as it is, but unused, and run new pipework to a second stop tap, mounted as above. The new tap becomes the fuctional stop tap once everything is installed.

thx TicklyT, glad you told me the flexi could wear down. thought of it as an easy way out.
guess i'll have to do it the hard way. thank you for helping, k

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back