Replacing newel base with bigger size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry MODS I post my original in the wrong section - woodwork. Can a mod please delete that thread and keep this one? Ta

We live in a 1980's house and we are trying to replace our horrible 80's balusters with the Richard Burbage Fusion range.

Only problem is we have a newel base post which is 67mm but the newel base needed for the fusion range is 82mm. the original newel base goes right through the floor into the kitchen. The upstairs floor is tongue & groove chipboard which goes UNDER the walls so we can't pull it up.

Trying to get this newel base out is a nightmare. It won't budge. Any tips? I can provide phots if needed.

Shiv

Sponsored Links
the newel post is likely to have the stair stringer and maybe a tread or two, glued and jointed into the base.

it is possible to connect newels together by forming a male dowel on the new post and a female receiving hole to the existing newel post.

this would mean sawing off the existing post at a suitable height. whether this is appropriate is another matter as the location of the cut may deem this method unsuitable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back