Replacing odd-size interior doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just moved into a flat that was built in 1885, and I'd like to replace the interior doors (the previous owner tried to fit glass panels into them himself by clumsily chiselling out the wood and GLUEING the glass onto the doors...)

Anyway, the current doors measure 2200mm x 905mm (obviously not the standard size of doors you can find at homebase and b&q.) Does anyone know where I can find doors of this dimension?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
You can find those kind of doors in any timber merchants. Trouble is they require assembly by a carpenter. :eek: (i.e. you need to buy the wood an d make them) alternatives are reclamation yards.

Eddie M said:
You can find those kind of doors in any timber merchants. Trouble is they require assembly by a carpenter. :eek: That should be a joiner ;)1885..2200.wtfis that... :LOL: feet+inches :idea:

Nige F said:
Eddie M said:
You can find those kind of doors in any timber merchants. Trouble is they require assembly by a carpenter. :eek:
That should be a joiner ;) 1885..2200.wtf is that... :LOL: feet+inches :idea:
Nice to see that someone knows the difference....... 2200 = 7ft 2-1/2in 905 = 2ft 11-1/2in (approx)

Sponsored Links
Maybe it is possible to get wooden panels that will fit over the glass?

It would be the easiest and cheapest option if the doors are in reasonable condition and you were planning a 'solid door'.

Or, of you want glass panels, perhaps you could put some beading around the botched glass job to tidy it up?

Good luck,

Gary

the quality of the old doors is likely to be much better than you can get today, as well as the size being right, see if they can be reclaimed. You might find the joints are loose enough now to knock apart and reassemble with new wooden oanels in the holes and a bit of new moulding to hold them in. Some people think that original features in an old house look appropriate and add ££££s to its value.

JohnD said:
You might find the joints are loose enough now to knock apart and reassemble with new wooden panels in the holes and a bit of new moulding to hold them in.
The problem is that if they are good quality doors then the tenons will all be foxed tenons (i.e. they'll have wedges glued in), so attempting to knock them apart would possibly just destroy them. I've taken furniture apart by steaming or soaking the joint, but I can't see anyone getting that level of penetration into a joint in a decent door.

Scrit

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back