Replacing old Boiler - some questions...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I have a couple of questions on replacing an old boiler for a new combi in a 2 bed RENTED flat (5 rads)

1) Approx cost? quoted around £2500 for removing old HW cylinder/CW tank, boiler, powerflush and replacing with a Worcester 25si boiler (no rads changed). Is this about right cost? Worcester 25si was quoted ~ £900 - seems high ????

2) As this is for rented flat, is a Mains boiler more servicable, reliable, simple to use (for tenants). Heard Worcester boilers are more diff to service?

3) Change all rads vs powerflush? Is a powerflush adequate?

4) If all rads changed is there any need for a powerflush eg to clear pipework?

Thanks in advance!!!

Sponsored Links
Too hard to say much from a distance.
1) Depends - where you are, etc. Could be reasonable, you might beat it, some would be higher.
2) Do you mean Main? Makes little difference tbh.
3) No need to change rads unless they're grotty. Systems which have always been sealed (no header tank) rarely need much flushing. But some do. You never know until you start.
4) No, just a mains flush, pretty quick.

only 5 rads I'd normally recommend replacing them unless they are fairly new. Not a great deal more than powerflushing and with obvious benefits.

1) i ripped a system boiler out and cylinder, tanks etc etc and installed a vaillaint 831 combi for £2000 ......with a power flush i would have added maybe £200. As for a Worcester 25si you might be able to shop around to get it a bit cheaper i did a google search and came up with £849.85 im unsure if the flue is included in this price .. or a timer.

2)a main supplied combi boiler would be my choice of system in a 2 bed flat. As long as your cold water pressure is ok , it will be fine. As for servicing its kinda tit for tat really. a service is a service, however hard or easy it is. I wouldn't worry about that, its down to the service engineer to worry about the service.

3)5 Rads. If the paint is comming off then and you can start to see rust around any or the edges then as your now putting a sealed pressurized system in then i would replace the rads as it wont be long before one of them splits. If they have no sign of years of wear and tear then i`d leave them.

4) if the rads are being changed, the power flush is down to you, a hot and cold flush of the system i would do anyway. When your system get drained down .. see how dirty the water is and decide on a flush or not.

not a problem

:D

Sponsored Links
Thanks all for the advice - as ever this forum is soooo very useful - and quick!

Re 4) powerflush vs rads changed - been quote £425 for a powerflush for 5 rads - approx right? if power flushing involves removing the rads then you might as well change them if rads approx £100 per rad to supply and fit? (a guestimate!)

Also, anyone know HOW to claim this Boiler scrappage allowance of £400? Not sure if it's claimed via local council or do you have to go to eg Brit Gas to install it to get the allowance. Does it take effect now or April 10 only?

Also, anyone know HOW to claim this Boiler scrappage allowance of £400? Not sure if it's claimed via local council or do you have to go to eg Brit Gas to install it to get the allowance. Does it take effect now or April 10 only?

Here's a good website but appears you need a G rated boiler to qualify although full details not yet released:

http://www.boilerscrappagescheme.co.uk/

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back