Replacing old porcelain toilet connector, what will be underneath?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got an old toilet to replace where the porcerlain goes downwards straight into some kind of socket (pic attached), what am I likely to find underneath it? Is there likely to be something a modern fitting will push into?

IMG_0551.jpg

Sponsored Links
It looks to me like a clay socket painted white, it might perhaps be porcelain.

Unusually, yours does not appear to be cracked and broken. Try to keep it that way. A 4-inch or 100mm spigot will fit into it. You can get a modern adaptor to make the seal with rubber fins.

There are a small number of BO WC pans made that discharge downwards. Measure the distance from the wall (not the skirting) to the centre of the socket. It might be 10" or 12"

Got an old toilet to replace where the porcerlain goes downwards straight into some kind of socket (pic attached), what am I likely to find underneath it? Is there likely to be something a modern fitting will push into?

View attachment 318039
looks to me like a Multikwik connector - feel it - if it's soft plastic that's what it is . Could go into a clay pipe

Sponsored Links
It is quite soft, so should I be able to pull that out of the pipe and replace with a modern version to suit the more common horizontal toilet outlet?
If you do that, the WC will be spaced a long way from the wall.

Is the floor concrete?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back