replacing old radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi There, I was going to replace an old radiator for my mum(have done a couple in my own house)but its very old and the two copper pipes feeding are both on the same side, question is the new radiator has flow and return on both sides ,do I cut pipes under floorboards and lengthen them and fit new tails etc, and if so is it possible to join existing copper pipes to the type of plastic piping thats in my house, hope I have explained this properly, thanks in advance for any replies........

Sponsored Links
If I was thee and not me - I'd buy the radiator that I wanted, and line up one end to suit one length of the existing pipe, then I'd lift the floorboards and extend the pipe, using new quality valves and tails. You can fit copper to plastic and vice versa, but I'd always do the pipe up to the rads in copper, and sweep a bend with a pipe bender underneath the floor.
If you want to do other things in the room, you can fit full bore isolators to the pipes, so mum keeps warm when you graft.
Hope this helps!
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back