Replacing Paving with Turf/Lawn - Ground Prep

Well done! You've done a good job considering the conditions. I doubt you'll run into any serious problems later regarding the uneven soil underneath. Hell the turves themselves will vary in thickness. If you do then top dressing the low spots will eventually level things out. Try not to roll it, it just makes it all firmer and hinders drainage.

I would disagree a little with Simon on the watering, it is possible to overwater new turf, but not easily. If it was soaked to the point of being waterlogged, if laid on clay for instance, this would promote rotting of the root system if drainage wasn't great. The weather looks warm, but not hot, and a little forecast rain so I would suggest 30mins of spinkler in the morning and don't bother in the evening. Leave it to dry out for the night, wet grass over night promotes disease. Water every day for a week then perhaps every third day for the second and third weeks.

That said, you need to care for the turf as per your own conditions of course. Water so the soil under the turf is damp down to a couple of inches. Lift a corner of turf and poke your finger in to check. The roots need just a little moisture to start growing into the soil to drink it all up. Too much water and you make it too easy for them, they won't grow so fast or so deep because they don't have to. As above, water deeply to penetrate the soil under the turf, light sprinklings of water that only get to the leaves and not the roots are no good at all.

Don't cut until well rooted, 7-10 days at least, or you might suck the turf up into the mower, tearing the roots up and scalping the top.

Sponsored Links
That looks quality that mate.

Your garden I mean Lasor. It won't let me quote it for some reason.

Many thanks leeco. It was such a mess for so long it has been very satisfying to finally have the time, funds and weather to crack on and make something useable of it.

Already getting addicted to stripes! Lol.

Many thanks leeco. It was such a mess for so long it has been very satisfying to finally have the time, funds and weather to crack on and make something useable of it.

Already getting addicted to stripes! Lol.

How do you get stripes like that?

Sponsored Links
Just a mower with a rear roller. Lawn really needs to be thick and healthy for best results. Vary the direction to avoid ruts forming by running the wheels down the same lines every time.

I've been treated to a new mower and went for a Bosch Rotak which is great. No need for a petrol one as it's only 80sqm, and petrol mowers with rollers are much more expensive than those without.

I have a petrol mower with a rear roller and tried to get lines but not quite as good as yours. The turf wasn't that good but I am going to re turf my grass bit with better stuff and try keep the dogs off it.

If it's a bit thin and dry it won't stripe. It needs to be thick and healthy to give good definition between those blades rolled one way compared to the other.

Some great tips still coming!

Thought I'd add a little update as its been down for a week. All in all I'm pretty pleased, it for the most part seems to be growing well and most of the joins seem to have merged.

I only have a couple of concerns which I would be interested in your insights on. There is a patch in the middle, shown on the photo above, to the left of the sprinkler, that doesn't seem to be growing quite as thick or as green as the rest, close up below -

Also, there seem to be a few patches of mushrooms growing!

Are these usual teething problems that are to be expected? Any ideas on what I can do?

As always thanks for the help and advice!

That looks great! And growing well.

The patch probably has a higher content of meadow grass in it. This is usually a lighter shade of green, which it seems to be here, and will grow differently to the rest. Can you see lots of seed heads in this patch? Don't worry too much, it will start to blend in eventually, as it's only a small patch.

The mushrooms occur from bacterial growth which started with the decomposition process when the turf was cut and immediately began to die. I had loads. They do no harm so just ignore and mow them up when the time comes.

Yeah I'm really pleased with how its looking, can't wait to get the decking down outside the backdoor and start being able to use it!

That's good news, I'm sure once its cut it'll be almost unnoticeable anyway.

I've been watering a total of 50 minutes a day 20 in the early morning 10 late morning and 20 at about 4.30, it seems to be responding well, and starting to root down into the existing soil. It was a lot of hard work but seems to be paying off, thanks for all the help!

Ease up on the watering now, every third day for the next 9 days at most, unless it's had a good bit of rain. Then stop. It should be able to cope on its own from then on, the weather is much milder now as well.

Good job!

As an aside, is there any particular reason you've chosen to go for decking and not a stone patio?

Will do, I think I had read somewhere about watering every day for a week then easing back.

I had decking in mind for a few reasons, one being that I like the feel of wood, and with the right stain I think it can add warmth to a garden that a stone patio can't. Its far less heavy work to prepare a base and lay, and I quite like working with wood. I also quite like the appearance of decking. I'm sure there are pros and cons to both and we may still discuss a bit further before finally committing.

Any insights would be welcome of course!

I too liked the idea of decking and it was plan A way back when I first started thinking about doing the garden. It's cheaper and probably easier for a novice, and I liked wood tones in the garden. I turned away from it when it became obvious that it would turn into a slippery, green deathtrap in no time as it would get no sun for a large portion of the year.

Done properly a paved surface will last a long time and weather well. Decking can start yo look tired and cheap much sooner.

It's totally your decision, of course. Just don't rule out paving. It can look very and much more impressive in my opinion.

Hi, I have a block paving and I want to remove the half to put some grass. So I was wondering, would it be enough if I remove the bricks and after that I just put the soil and the grass seeds?

Thanks for the help! :)

If you could get 18 inches of soil depth under your turf that would be good.

Dig out the area to the required depth, layer with soil and lightly compact it by healing it in every 4 inches of depth, fertilise, turf, water.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back