Country
Germany
I need to replace a section of damaged waste pipe
pipe1.PNG

If I cut a new section to the correct length
pipe2.PNG

And then use a sleeve on each end
pipe3.PNG

My concern is when I pull the sleeves back over the new piece of pipe, there will be a small step where the new pipe meets the old pipe, and be a potential cause of waste build up in the future?

If I use one of these, I can cut the new piece of pipe so it fits perfectly between the old pieces resulting in no step.

pipe4.PNG

What is the correct way to fix this?

Attachments

• pipe5.PNG
    pipe5.PNG
    376.3 KB · Views: 30
Sponsored Links
Either way will work.

Andy
Good to know. For some reason I thought you could only push the pipe half way in to one of these, meaning it would be impossible to use it to replace a section of pipe without having a gap between the old and new pipe.

Attachments

• pipe5.PNG
    pipe5.PNG
    376.3 KB · Views: 16
Good to know. For some reason I thought you could only push the pipe half way in to one of these, meaning it would be impossible to use it to replace a section of pipe without having a gap between the old and new pipe.
That's correct.
You can either file the stop mark in the coupler, or find movement somewhere else, surely another joint or more than one.
Don't know if allowed with newest regs, but a solvent weld sleeve was used many times by plumbers I know.

Sponsored Links
Get a 'Slip Coupling, that will slide all the way onto on end of the pipe, measure width of coupling, divide by 2, mark this onto the other section of pipe then slide coupler back to make the joint. Provided all cut ends are chamfered are per requirements for jointing, it is very unlikely anything will snag on the ends.

Get a 'Slip Coupling, that will slide all the way onto on end of the pipe, measure width of coupling, divide by 2, mark this onto the other section of pipe then slide coupler back to make the joint. Provided all cut ends are chamfered are per requirements for jointing, it is very unlikely anything will snag on the ends.
Thanks for the instructions.

With regards to cutting and chamfering, I have a small device for holding pipes in place and stable for cutting. I plan to cut the pipe with either a hand saw or an oscillating multi-tool, and chamfer the ends with a hand file. How does this sound?

Here is the result of my and my wife's morning. There is a 1cm in the sleeve highlighted in red. Hopefully that will not cause issues. All pipes were champfer with hand file and sanded with 120 grit. Lube is essential.

Now we will run the water and observe all joints to check no water is leaking, bed with sand, cover with sand and then earth.

20231014_132527.jpg

As long as the coupling in centred over the joint, a bit of gap between the pipes wont hut. I would put some concrete under the chamber base to support it in position, peagravel under and around the pipes, then backfill, making sure there are no larges stones or lumps in the initial layer.

What do you mean 1cm in the sleeve?
Gap between the 2 pipes or one of the pipes is only in by 1cm?

What do you mean 1cm in the sleeve?
Gap between the 2 pipes or one of the pipes is only in by 1cm?
The pipes meet in the middle of the sleeve, but with a 1cm gap between them. They are both champferd.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back