Replacing Power Cable to Garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone
Got a very nasty looking cable taking power to the garage.
View media item 19799And a very old looking fuse box 'thing' - don't think it qualifies as a consumer unit!
View media item 19800Unfortunately the cable runs under a small conservatory and the yard has been concreted over so I can't replace it using the same path.
I thought I could get armoured cable and go through the wall near the fusebox, run the cable down the wall and cut another channel in the drive to the garage about 3 metres away.
I need advice
How deep has the cable to be?
Is it O.K. to run it down the wall?
Should I replace the Fusebox thing?
Is it still notifiable part P work as it is a replacement?
Do I need a consumer unit in the garage also because there isn't one at the moment.
Sorry about all the questions but I have to get this sorted before I can replace the kitchen.
G.

Sponsored Links
Firstly, that fuseboard has 4 fuses in it. You only have one cable going to the garage. Which of the four fuses serves the garage?
What do the other three fuses serve?
Is that the only fuseboard in the house?

What is on the other end of the cable in the garage?

Do you know how big that cable is? cannot tell from the picture - be careful by the way. That cable has been damaged - the red inner should not be showing!

All of the work you describe is notifiable - that will include the electrical works in the kitchen - why not get a registered electrician in to sort your garage power and do the kitchen too.

Yes, the fusebox should be replaced. It complied with regs when it was installed about 40-50 years ago. Things have moved on since then :LOL:

However, given the age of the fusebox, you should also have the rest of the installation checked too.

Given you are having major work done in the house (new kitchen), add some to the budget for the fusebox and a potential rewire. Most houses these days (even small ones) have at least 8 circuits. You have 4.

You dont NEED a fusebox in the garage, but it is convenient for if you trip an RCD (which your new installation will have and could save your life one day!)

This work is notifiable under part p: //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:part p Please read up on the legalities of DIY electrical work. If you do wish to DIY, we will try our best to help, but if you appear to be out of your depth, we will say so and you probably wont get much help.

Hi Everyone
30Amp circuit for the garage but I only ever use the light and one power tool (only got one pair of hands) the cable is the same size as the shower cable very heavy must be at least 6mm.
30 Amp for the Shower.
30 Amp for the house sockets
5 Amp for the house lights
But it looks like one or two (extras) have been doubled up - light over the sink for instance
Contacted an electrician he said he could leave the existing fusebox and just add a cirucit breaker for a new ring main for the Kitchen.
I have heard about plug-in MCBs for these units to replace the fuses are they any good?
The house was built in 1975 the wiring looks O.K. would it really need a re-wire if I upgrade to a modern Consumer Unit?
Thanks
G.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back