Replacing radiators with same sized rads

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve got two double panel radiators that I’ve removed:
64cm x 46cm
96cm x 46cm

measured the panels from end to end.

they have the tail pipes coming up from the floor boards. I assumed that I was would be able to get the same size and fit straight in.

I can’t find this size. I’ve got the DIY sheds, Toolstation and Screwfix near me.
Is this not a standard size and what would you advise please?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Get the nearest size smaller ,and fit tail extensions. For instance ,if existing rad is 640mm wide ,buy a 600mm wide rad,the 40 mm difference can be taken up with longer rad tails.

1. You need to measure the panels from end to end a the point the tails are screwed in.
2. The measurements you have are odd. Could be imperial sizes.
3. Myson still do imperial sized radiators.
4. You need to also be sure that the wall to pipe centre distances are the same (or very close) for the new radiators as for the old.

Sponsored Links
as post above says you can buy extensions tails to make up the size or better still, lift a few floorboards and move pipes 40mm, hopefully some play in them especially if its 10mm pipe....myson have imperial size radiators, but some can be triple the price of a standard size for the sake of 40mm, try a local wolseley merchants for myson imperial sizes. but personally i'd lift a floorboard and move pipes, or if this cant be done then fit an extension piece

Whatever you do never use the adjustable tail extension that have an O ring seal...they ALWAYS leak.

I think it looks better to get a wider rad and offset the feeds outwards to the valves... That way, it's all pretty much hidden by the wider rad. :)

Edit: But, as said... Better still if you can move the pipe(s) to take up the 40mm.

Also, will my existing radiator brackets suffice for a radiator which is a similar size to what I had or are these likely to require alteration? Its a dot and dab wall and I would have preferred using the current brackets if possible.

You will need to use the new brackets that come with the new rads.

Plenty of dot n dab fixings available.

IMG_20200626_080535123.jpg ?

Last edited:
I lifted the floorboards today and the pipes are very accessible. I will rearrange the tails so that they are in line.
Q. Are there any best practice on where the the radiator should be positioned between the floor and the top of the window sill?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back