Replacing/rewiring upstairs lighting circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I wonder if anyone could offer an opinion on the following. I have just moved to a 1900's terraced house, the current upstairs lighting is all controlled via pull switches, and as I am having to replace the ceilings I thought this might be a good time to chase the walls and fit wall switches, since there will be plenty of mess/replastering happening anyway.
Having looked at the current wiring in the loft, everything seems pretty simple, with 5 ceiling lights controlled by pull switches, and the landing light controlled by two way surface mounted wall switches at the top and bottom of the landing.
I would want most of the light fittings to be replaced in their current positions, though would probably wish to reduce the number of lights in the bathroom to 1 (there is currently 2, - controlled via separate pull switches), I would also wish to add 1 or 2 lights in the loft. The current circuit is wired using junction boxes, I would probably wish to change this to wiring via the ceiling roses, removing the need for the junction boxes.
What I wish to know is whether this type of work is within the scope of a DIYer or whether I need to get a professional in to do the work.
I have no relevant experience of this type of project, but am eager to read up on the subject and properly plan the work if it is something I can legally do myself.
Many thanks in advance for any help!

Sponsored Links
There is no law that says you cannot do it yourself, but you should comply with electrical regs for various reasons. Happy reading, may I suggest the wikkis are a good place to start. :D

Sounds like the best thing to do is rewire the whole circuit.

Now is the best time to do so if you are hacking the place to bits anyway :D

Sponsored Links
:idea: In case you hadn't thought of this:
If you're adding lights in the loft then it's best add these first and put them on a different circuit. That way you can have them on while you work on the upstairs lighting circuit.
Also, the wires should run above the insulation and under any loft boards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back