Replacing room thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our Honeywell wall thermostat is over 20 years old. Works ok but at a certain setting it starts to'buzz' so needs a slight adjustment either up or down. What is the process to replace it should I feel the need, ie should I just shut off the electric and remove from the wall. What is the step by step method? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Turn off the switch that supplies the whole heating system. It'll be on a plate with a fuse carrier on it too.

I think I have the same thermostat as you - 20 year old honeywell that buzzes about 15 seconds before it turns the heating on. Nowt wrong with it though.

If it was knackered it would be buzzing as it shut off - arcing as it breaks contact.

But they arent very modern looking i guess! Only reason mine is still there is because its in the back bedroom that nobody uses, and im getting a new heating system in the next couple of years.

Sponsored Links
Bear in mind that as your system is that old it could possibly only have Line and switched Line at the stat. Most modern ones need a neutral as well for the anticipator circuit (which improves the performance). It is possible to still obtain 2 wire stats but it's worth you checking first !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back