Replacing seal around steel garage door frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies for the long post...

I gather that using expanding foam to fill the gap between the frame and the masonry, then caulking with silicone, is the way to go.

I'm wary of putting in too much foam, in case it expands to the point of separating the frame further from the masonry. Does anyone have any tips? The gap between the frame and masonry is approx 1cm.

One issue I have to tackle beforehand is that one of the vertical sections wriggles. I have tightened the loose screw in the bottom half of the frame and checked the tightness of the screws in the horizontal section, but there is still a slight wriggle. Does anyone know if there might be another screw concealed in the upper half of the vertical section, which could only be reached if the spring mechanism was removed? Or will sealing using ex foam give it the stability it needs? It's a standard sized frame housing a single canopy door.

Lastly, out of curiosity, any guesses as to the material used in the existing seal as shown in the image below? It doesn't recede that far into the gap, is quite hard and must have been applied years and years ago.

Thanks,

Nick

2yyr138.png

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back