Replacing soil stack

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just replaced our vintage concrete/asbestos guttering and whilst up there noticed the soil stack was leaking when the toilet was flushed. I have no idea whether its cast iron or concrete asbestos or how to go about replacing it, but it needs doing. Can I cut off the old pipe just above ground level and slot new plastic into that?

Sponsored Links
If it is asbestos I would be cautious However it would be very unusual for it to be so. Give the pipe a tap and you should be able to hear if its metal. If asbestos I would not cut the pipe but follow down to its join with the earthenware drain and remove there. A good plastics plumbers merchant will have a variety of connectors available - Polypipe, Hunter etc etc. If the pipe is metal I would use a disc cutter. Black I find the best wearing colour for outside pipes and indeed guttering.

good advice bogstandard... dont forget to take a section of the cut out old pipe down to the builders merchats to make sure that the connector fits to new polypie soil pipe. At a pinch you could evn use a str8 pan connector... but best to encase in a concrete formwork.

If the gutters was asbestos, theres a good chance the soil pipe will be too.

Ware chuck away protective clothing and a special breathing mask, remember if you cut this stuff the spores will float on the wind and could kill the neighbours as well, so best to do the job on a wet day.

Sponsored Links
Also remember that if it's cast iron it'll be heavy when you release it from the wall. Not the sort of thing you want to realise when you're balanced 6 foot up a ladder with a hammer in one hand and the pipe in the other... ;)

doitall said:
If the gutters was asbestos, theres a good chance the soil pipe will be too.

Ware chuck away protective clothing and a special breathing mask, remember if you cut this stuff the spores will float on the wind and could kill the neighbours as well, so best to do the job on a wet day.
:LOL: or get your dog to **** on it as your kuttin it :LOL: They aint spores there mycelium

Its DUST not spores or mycelium. Asbestos is a mineral not a plant or a fungus or anthing else living for that matter...

And asbestos Dust Kills....

Thanks Gees we know it's a variety of horn-blende and commercial asbestos is generally made from chrysolite

:evil:

Merry Christmas on your island ;) ........I`m afraid I adopt a Gallows Humour sometimes , I have been exposed to asbestos lagging years ago ..and have a list of other illness that I won`t bore you with....that`s why I hang around here like a bad smell :LOL: You have a Valid Point about asbestos.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back