Replacing stair banister and newels

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I need some advice/ tips on replacing some newel posts. I have replaced them before in my own house but it was a simple replace as the stairs were straight. My friend has just bought a house and wants to replace there banister but can't afford to pay someone so has asked for my help. I will post pic of my problem. The top and bottom newel should I should be able to cut and put a new turned newel in but the two in the middle were the stairs turn I can't see how I can replace them. Is there a way or do I leave them and just change the top and bottom? Also they are I nly 70mm wide.
Thanks in advance
Danny[/b]

Sponsored Links
A lot of turned newal posts go into a square post with something like a 32mm hole and a plastic fox wedge so when the turned part is entered in to the square part of the newal it slightly splits and makes the joint tight and glued. I would just cut the square newal at the required height so the hand rail is the correct height above the pitch line 900mm minimum. Find the center and drill a hole suitable diameter for the male part of the turned newal to go into with a speed bit or foster bit then before putting together I would with a nice sharp block plane dress a slight Evan curvature on the square newal. I personally wouldn't do the fox wedge in case the split went to far but you can if you want and just put plenty of glue on the round mortise and make sure the mortises where the hand rail goes is pointing the right direction. Also having the handrails ready to fit is a good idea. If you go into any shop that sells stair part and look at turned newal posts you will see that you can turn the round part separately from the square part and it will give you an idea

That's what I was thinking for the top and bottom newel. The pic not really clear but the second newel that's at the middle has steps half way up. Is it just a case of like you said cutting it down to required height then putting a new newel in?

On the middle newal posts from the highest tread housed into the newal come in the required height. The turned newal post will also have a square part at the top which should be long enough to take the height difference of the hand rails at the turning point of the stair

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Thought I would chip in my limited experience in bannister building. I didn't have one in my house and have very limited DIY skills.

I used Richard burbidge stair planner and bought all the bits from them as a kit. They have several you tube vids telling you how to install them. One of the vids covers the turning posts and setting the height etc. maybe worth a look

Graeme

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back