Replacing Tap - Screw Slot Damaged

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have this leaking tap.

When I went to replace the seat, the screwdriver has perished the slot rendering it useless.

Any ideas?

I have tried hammering it in further, but this does not seem to be working and I do not want to damage the tap any further.

Sponsored Links
This is a brass screw? If it has a slotted head, you can sometimes cut a new slot with a Dremel, but if you don't already own one, and do not have impact drivers, it will be less trouble and probably cheaper to buy a new tap :( . Sounds like the old one wouild benefit from replacing anyway.

p.s. was the damage because you did not have exactly the right size of screwdriver?

Yes it is a brass screw..... and was probably caused by using the wrong screwdriver (Mr. Bodge it).

I could do without buying a new tap as we are selling the house. Although I do not particuarly want to fix it as a temporary measure until sold, I do have some conscience.

Sponsored Links
You can get left-handed drill extractors, but I really think you would do better to buy a new tap, or leave the old one dripping.

there is a faint chance that if you buy a set of chrome-vanadium screwdrivers (not very expensive now, and will give years of service) and use a well-shaped driver of exactly the right size, it will work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back