Replacing the thermostat - Combi boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. We have a Drayton Digistat wireless system. It barely works now because the thermostat part keeps cutting off, and has no timer on it. I want to replace it with one I can control from my phone. I'm not looking for anything super fancy like a Hive system, I just want to be able to log on from a phone and turn my heating up or down, set the timer etc.

I can do basic DIY, but I'm a little lost as to how the current Drayton system actually talks to the boiler, and if I need to replace the wall-mounted, hard-wired bit, or whether I can get a new wireless thermostat and connect that to the existing set up.

I was looking at something like this but have no idea if it's the right sort of thing: https://amzn.eu/d/hft5z31

Thanks

IMG-5356.JPG

Sponsored Links
If looks and Alexa etc are unimportant check EPH controls, They can be used with the app and wi-fi gateway or standalone, combi or system boiler

I've just swapped a failing Drayton Digistat 3+RF and receiver for a Nest 3rd generation and HeatLink

The thermostat you linked to is mains powered and has a call for heat link back to the boiler, so you need to pull a 5-core cable from where the thermostat is sited to the boiler.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-10-14 165837.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-10-14 165837.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Be careful with Moes to get the right one
1665795374577.png

Personally I would select a thermostat which will work with programmable TRV heads, not saying you want all heads linked, but likely want one or two linked.

Each system has plus and minus points, EPH works well with zone valves, but will not link to TRV's, Drayton and Honeywell Wiser and Evohome link to TRV heads and will work analogue (OpenTherm) as well as digital (On/Off) Tado also does one, and Hive does not have OpenTherm.

Nest has Opentherm but not much else. Will not link to TRV heads.

Much depends on the home, my last house was open plan and Nest would work well, this house has doors, so Nest not really very good, specially with non modulating oil boiler, but in my late mothers house a very simple thermostat in the hall worked well, once all set, as the wifi TRV heads did most of the control.

Sponsored Links
I just want to be able to log on from a phone and turn my heating up or down, set the timer etc.
If you want to do this remotely, i.e. from a car or office then you will need to fit, what you describe as 'a fancy one'. There's no getting away from it.

You'll need a programmable room stat, a receiver (if wireless) and a hub/gateway that connects to your router, to do what you want it to do. With that setup there's no point in going cheap as it will always cause problems. A Hive isn't expensive for what it does and it's one of the easiest interfaces I've come across, in fact it's easier to program through the app than it is on the actual Prog Stat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back