Replacing washer on WC ballcock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My overflow to my toilet is dripping. I have been told as it is an old brass ballcock fitting I should be able to replace the washer on it, how do i do it. I have looked in my DIY books but it doesn't tell me how! Or is it easier to replace the whole unit?

Comments would be much appreciated

Sponsored Links
easiest to fit a new plastic one. Measure the length of the arm and get one no longer just to be sure it will fit. Identify if the incoming water is at mains pressure or from a cold water tank in the loft as you will get two different sized fittings in the pack.

You can also get a Torbeck which is very quiet in use and much smaller, should fit on the same screw fittings as your old one, but if you have never done it befoew, you may find it easier to refit a similar fitting.

Once you have got the old one off, you can, if you like, take it apart and fit a new washer and keep it as a spare for next time (but thhey are very cheap).

Whats a Torbeck fitting? do they fill the cistern from the bottom so the waters not falling/splashing making naise?

are they quite easy to fit ?

Sorry if im hijacking a thread bt never heard of one of these

It is an equilibrium valve which is cunningly designed so that the pressure on both sides of the washer is (almost) the same. So it does not hiss. It delivers the water through a perforated plastic floppy tube so it does not fall noisily onto the water in the bottom of the cistern. the plastic float is not much bigger than an eggcup as little pressure is needed to close the valve.l

I envisage Rodders has a toilet cistern with the inlet on the side, like this
p1034518_l.jpg
There is also one that goes through the bottom of the cistern.

They come with a restrictor for use on water main pressure (not used if tank-fed). They are very sensitive on grit or rubbish in the pipes as they have a little needle valve inside but can be dismantled for cleaning.

It is always a good idea to fit a service valve on the supply to a cistern if it hasn't already got one.

Sponsored Links
I have fitted the Torbeck and works a treat. The restictor, do you inert it all the way up with the long end facing down or up?

Many thanks

Roddders said:
I have fitted the Torbeck and works a treat. The restictor, do you inert it all the way up with the long end facing down or up?

Many thanks

Can't remember, I should look at the instruction leaflet if I were you.

Torbecks seem to clog up in hard water areas. You on chalk in Hampshire?

ChrisR said:
Torbecks seem to clog up in hard water areas. You on chalk in Hampshire?

Definitely. Where would I be without Mr. Permutit?

good stuff, Im in a soft water area so would be a nice change from waking every one up at 3 in the moring when av been up late or that lol

My cisterns mains pressure bottom fed, take it theyll have ones that will suit this, what measurments would i need to take to order one the right size ?

thanks for the advice, ive not dun much wi cisterns lol

John2512_00 said:
My cisterns mains pressure bottom fed, take it theyll have ones that will suit this, what measurments would i need to take to order one the right size ?

They come with an insert to compensate for water pressure (from 1.5 to 200psi.). There is one that goes up through the bottom,
p1720081_l.jpg
I think there's only one size, nine and a half inches, but you can adjust the float height very easily. There is another brand that's also quiet, forgotten the name just now, Flowmaster? Fluidmaster? Flushmaster? think it's an American company
p2938455_l.jpg
and is height-adjustable.

To keep the flushing noise down as well, you can also fit a Flapper Valve instead of a syphon.
p2938193_l.jpg
although if the handle is not on the front of the cistern, you're better of with the button operated type
p2635226_l.jpg
though in my opinion this lacks the elegant simplicity of design that the Flapper has.

Well thats all very educational and the original enquirer has got his new Torbec to work !

I dont do plumbing when I can avoid it but I do have to say that if I was able to I would always fit a brass float valve and not a plastic one!

I have been called to so many of these Torbec or their cheap copies that I have deduced that they are pretty unreliable!

To make things easier I have obtained a small stock of brass bottom entry valves to replace those dreadful plastic ones on which people always manage to cross thread the connections and make them impossible to stop leaking.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back