Replacing window from inside

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an old wooden casement window: there is an opening section 1200h x 500w (mm) and alongside a fixed window 950h x 500w (and a small opening section above the fixed part). The fixed part is cracked.

The window is on the 4th floor, so access is only available from the inside - is there any difficultly/problems with performing this work from the inside? Obviously the opening section allows 'reasonable' access to apply the putty, paint externally etc.

Sponsored Links
I assume you are aiming just to reglaze the cracked pane.

It sounds possible, but awkward. Getting glazing brads in place could be difficult, especially if you have to use the 'wrong' hand to work, and it also may be difficult to finish the putty neatly. Presumably the appearance on the outside won't matter too much at that level, but you will want it to be weather-proof.

I'd want to have someone around to help hand tools (and provide moral support). Work safely.

I presume this is a trad single glazed pane puttied into the frame from the outside...?

Not a job I'd look forward to - possible but much safer if you can get a friend to help. I hope you've got long arms!

What's on the ground 4 floors below? If the public have access you really need to be very careful of what you're doing especially when it comes to taking out the old glass (odds on it will break)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back