replaster or lining paper?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm decorating a hallway and stairs and as I own dogs would like a painted surface that I can wipe down easily. The surface is plastered, sound in most places but a few loose patches.

My plan was to make the loose patches sound and then get the surface reskimmed so that it could be painted. A builder advised me just to get lining paper and paint that. I think that's an easier solution but think the skimmed wall would look better.

The builder thought that cracks would reappear if it was plastered. Does anyone agree with this? Is there a method of reducing the chances of cracks reappearing.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
I think the re skimming will give you a much better finish. I have done some extensive re plastering and damp proofing and have found that plaster sadly does often show hairline cracks after drying. The answer i found was to wait a few weeks till all the cracks have appeared and then buy a tube of flexible filler and a metal applicator (the ones like a big bendy metal credid card) and just fill in the cracks. once the paint is on you can't see a thing. Personally i have never been a fan of lining paper but that's just me

I think the builder is giving your fair advice, if you lin the walls carefully there should be no reason why it should look any dfferent to a plastered wall. Use 600 grade lining , it has less texture than the others.

If the cracks are bad you also have the option of using linen backed lining paper.....allthough it may need over lining with 600 as it does have a slight texture to it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back