Repointing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im in the process of building a single story extension. Sadly, after the extension was finished and repointed the bricks around my bifold opening had to be replaced following a botched bifold door installation.
92383-4de21a9bcada0a89806b8f83c5e9c498.jpg

So now the new bricks need to be repointed and the brick layer is saying that it is going to be very hard if not impossible to match exactly the new repointing with the one he did a month ago. The bricky said we should remove the old repointing from the extension return and repoint the whole section in one. That might be necessary but the tricky thing is that the removing the repointing which is rock hard will might lead to bits of the yellow stock coming off as well. Any advice?

Attachments

• IMAG0158 (1).jpg
    IMAG0158 (1).jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Sorry , so your brickie does not know where the sand came from and what mix was used? Find it out?
Frank

Sorry , so your brickie does not know where the sand came from and what mix was used? Find it out?
Frank
It's hard to believe but my builder told me that he got different makes of cement and he doesn't know which the brickie used. I was there when the mixed the cement to repoint and the bricky judged it by its consistency, the way it looked, her certainly didnt measure sand and cement quantities. Sad but true

Sponsored Links
The cement manufacturer should not make a great deal of difference to the colour. It's the sand that matters, plus how well it is mixed, and then how it is tooled, and then the speed of drying. All these influence the end colour.

There is greater risk to the bricks in raking it all back out again, than the potential for any noticeable shade differences if the same sand is used. But care with a grinder may result in a tidy job.

Do you know which builders merchant he used? Round here Wickes soft sand is the colour of custard, while Jewsons is a nice silver colour. Rather like yours which is a rich mix, try a sample of 3:1 with a silvery sand.
Frank

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back