Requesting feedback from electricians...

Hpd

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the process of developing an app whereby tradesmen like yourselves could click a button any time (perhaps after work at 4-5pm) which makes them 'available' for a call out.

The idea is that there aren't any hefty call out fees but you can specify a call out area (say within 10miles from your home) if you'd be up for the extra work at your normal rate.

You can then click it when you don't want to be available for a call anymore that evening. Do you think electricians would use this to get some extra convenient work when they wanted to?

Thanks, HPD

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Wow, why such reluctance? Who sorts stuff out when people have electrical faults in the evening then?

Wow, why such reluctance?
The main problem is that this app is likely to attract the kind of 'customer' which no one would ever want.

The sort who have a go themselves, mess it up, and then expect someone to instantly rush to their assistance, fix the problem, explain how to do half a dozen other electrical jobs and provide advice on various other things, all for £5 and a manky cup of tea made with soya milk.

Or those who have an electrical installation which is 50 years old, never had any maintenance or repairs done, and when the lights in their takeaway shop go out with a big bang, expect someone to magically appear and make it all better within the hour. And then provide a certificate declaring the whole lot is safe and lovely, because the man from the council will close them down if they don't get one.

Who sorts stuff out when people have electrical faults in the evening then?
People who are desperate for work, and will take anything offered to them.

Who sorts stuff out when people have electrical faults in the evening then?
Idiots who advertise in places like Yellow Pages as having 24 hour call out.

Not for me, thank you. At the end of my day it is, well, the end of my day.

As they say on Dragons' Den: "I'm out"

All fair comments. Do you think the app could be used within normal business hours (and perhaps weekends) just to show you're available to be contacted? I.e you might currently not be flat out and unable to take on more work.

Then when you're swamped you can switch it off. I'm aware it's kinda like describing how a phone works but see it from a customers side, they get to see which trades around them are free to call.

Are you going to post this topic in every section of the forum? I've already read it in the plumbing section.

As a customer I would be very reluctant to call a trade person just because they are free at the moment. I would prefer someone recommended by people I trust. The only exception could be some terrible emergency that can't wait.

Well I'm going to be positive.

If you ensured all the trades persons were accredited then that should take away that risk.

The number of times I have heard on here that a trades person will come round at x pm and doesn't an app will take away the ring around.

I guess it's more difficult for the trades person to turn the job down if he doesn't like what he is hearing though.

No I just wanted feedback from both electricians and plumbers. It's all well and good choosing a recommended trade but this app is intended for EXACTLY as you described, emergencies and things that cannot wait

It's kind of like how there's an AA app for when you breakdown.

If I have grafted an 8+ hour day and someone expects me to drive 10 miles X 2 in the evening to sort a problem out, that could likely be in pitch dark and expect this on the cheap, it ain't happening!
This appy is not a happy appy!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back