requesting help wiring a ceiling rose fitment

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HELP !!
I am dying of frustration...Pleeease help me.

I recently had a minor disaster when cleaning my uplighter in that the plastic lightfitting actually broke and the lightbulb bayonet connection fell out necessitating a trip to the DIY store to purchase a new fitting...not such a disaster as it only cost £2.80.
This was only the start of the problem though.
I have a double wall switch that control a ceiling light and 2 wall lights. One switch operates the ceiling light and one the wall lights. all simple so far.
I unscrewed the ceiling rose and unscrewed the electrics from the broken fitting expecting the job to be a simple matter of re-wiring to the new rose. Oh poor poor naive me ! as if it would be so simple !
The wires that came out of the ceiling hole were as such: 1 cable contained a red and a black wire along with a bare wire and another cable contained a red, a blue and a green/yellow wire.
I assume that the bare wire and the green yellow are earth wires. no problem there.
I wired the connections in the way I thought correct and all seemed well until I realised one of the wall lights was not working. I thought the bulb had gone and changed it to no avail.
I decided to try to re-wire the fitment but however I do it I cannot get the second wall light to work from the original switch. It either works only when the main ceiling light works and comes on and off with that switch or it dont work at all hence my frustration.
I cannot work out how the 2 wall lights which always worked independently of the ceiling light now seem to be dependent on the ceiling light. strangely one of the wall lights still works correctly. its driving me nuts.
I am fairly sure that the wires that control the wall light are the red and black wires with the bare wire as the ceiling light will only work if connected to the other ( blue/red/green wires). these I connected to the (Live) red (Neutral) blue and (Earth) green.
The fitment I purchased has 3 gangs to connect to, plus the earth. these are (L) 2 connecters. (N) 3 connecters and (Loop) 3 connecters.
The flex to the light has a brown wire into the (L) and a blue wire to the (N)
I am sure that I have tried every combination though obviously not as prior to my accident and the old fitment everything seemed to work fine. it is driving me completely nuts

any suggestions gratefully accepted.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back