Requirements to power a shed

Curious. According to 4E4B, 10mm² XLPE SWA has a VD of 4.7mV/A/m. So how does 26.09A over 60m drop 6.3V?
According to my trusty Casio, 0.0047 x 26.09 x 60 = 7.4...
4E4B relates to 90 degree operating temp. At 70 degrees (4D4B) it's 4.4mv/A/m, but even that works out at about 6.89V drop.
Maybe the calculator has found a figure for 60 degrees?

Kind Regards, John.

Sponsored Links
I'm quite surprised that as yet there have been no dire warnings about "exporting the earth" if the house installation is TN-C-S.

Sponsored Links
I wonder if your calculator is calculating what the conductor temperature will be at design load, and working out VD on that basis?
That would make some sense, although only if the calculator were being given information about installation method - otherwise I can't see how it could estimate operating temperature.

Kind Regards, John.

Maybe there's a field with a drop-down list to select installation method, next to the field with the drop-down list to select cable type.

:mrgreen:

Hi again.

I see someone has given you a load estimate of 6000watts.
The rest of them are just contradicting each other.

The premise may be that after you sell the place the next guy will plug a washing machine and drier down in your shed.

The load is determined by the breaker on the supply. If you limit it to a 10amp 30ma Rcbo You are controling it to a designated 1500w sub circuit. for a specific use.

Have a look on e bay you might find a roll of cable at a knock down price.

If you put a 32amp breaker on, as a radial circuit, you will end up with big cable sizes, to combat voltage drop.

Ask them to quote the IEE reg that supports their theory. That should keep them quiet.

Mike.

If you limit it to a 10amp 30ma Rcbo You are controling it to a designated 1500w sub circuit. for a specific use.

Since when does 10A x 240V = 1500 watts? (Ignoring less than unity power factor issues.)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back