Rerendering outside wall - what goes at the bottom?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Long time lurker, finally a question!

Having got inside the house sorted, now looking at the exterior. The house is a 70s built brick house, external walls a mix of decorative brick and rendered - roughcast above the DPC and plain finished render below.

At some point the render has been painted with some sort of coating - possibly because there is a touch of an effluoresence problem (tips on that welcome!) and had cracked in places, with some coming away. On taking off the loose render to repair, I discovered the loose stuff went below ground level. Dug down (About 2 brick depth) and some of the patches of loose/unfixed render go right down to where the render appears to stop (below is a mix of what appears to be loose rough cast in places and mainly a concrete mix).

So my question is, what do I put at the bottom? Do I just put the render on down to that level, or is any special treatment needed.

Also, should I treat the bare brickwork withanything prior to rendering (MY instinct says no because then the wall wouldn't breathe)

Thanks in advance

Dave

Sponsored Links
Render should not go down past the DPC, and is finished in a 'Bell-cast' done by fitting a bell-cast metal bead, or the traditional way by using a timber lath to form the edge.

It's basically a slope to throw water off. Google ' bell cast render ' for more details and images

You shouldn't breach the DPC with render, as it currently stands this is the case. You should have drip edge, sorry, don't know the real term, installed above the DPC, and render down to this.

Sponsored Links
Mmmm, someone needs to tell Wimpey that then........

Sorry. maybe should have explained in more detail.

The Wall above the DPC is finished in stone rough cast. The DPC has a drip edge, and is 2 -3 cm proud of the wall below. The two sets of render aren't linked.

The ground brickwork is finished with a plain concrete render. Maybe it's a Scottish thingg ? :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back