Reroof?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am having a loft extension on my 1930s bunglow with dormers fitted front and rear. The plans are being drawn up at the moment but the architect wasn't sure if it will require re roofing due to the old damaged roofing felt. The roof tiles are good and the timber is sound but it still has the old original thick felt of the 1930/40s and there are some significant tears in it in a few places. Does anyone know if I will have to have the whole roof stripped and new breathable felt laid or can I get away with leaving it as it is? Can the local authority insist on it being replaced? Thanks for any suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Not sure about the council being able to insist on a re-roof
but the old felt won't be breathable and you might regret not getting a new roof while you are turning your roof into a liveable space.

If you are doing the extension it would be worthwhile having the roof redone. Would save paying for scaffolding going up in the future etc.

Plus you would want your new extension to be properly ventilated.

If you are doing the extension it would be worthwhile having the roof redone. Would save paying for scaffolding going up in the future etc.

Plus you would want your new extension to be properly ventilated.
I agree that would be nice, but it will cost me an arm and a leg for a total re roof. I am on a limited budget so I need to cut my cloth accordingly so as to speak. But thank you for your input.

Sponsored Links
Not sure about the council being able to insist on a re-roof
but the old felt won't be breathable and you might regret not getting a new roof while you are turning your roof into a liveable space.

The main thing is I need to get the roof extension up and running but the re roofing could always be done at a later stage when I can afford to do it. Obviously it would be great if I could do it all in one go but I am not that wealthy. The issue is whether the LA could insist on it being done or not. I think it would still be breathable as it has quite a few gaps in the felt and there would be vents at the eaves anyway along with the 50mm air gap.

I agree that would be nice, but it will cost me an arm and a leg for a total re roof. I am on a limited budget so I need to cut my cloth accordingly so as to speak. But thank you for your input.

What's on your roof? Slates or tiles? You could install vents near the bottom of the roof and if you make sure that the ridge is vented you should be good.

What's on your roof? Slates or tiles? You could install vents near the bottom of the roof and if you make sure that the ridge is vented you should be good.

I have plain concrete tiles at present. I am sure that Building control will insist on vents in any case which isn't a problem to me. My main question is, can the LA insist on a re roof if the felt is damaged?

Tears and gaps in the felt don't constitute ventilation to the roof space ! Ask your architect if the ventilation requirements can be met retaining the old felt. The tears in the felt would need to be repaired if it is retained , but your architect should be advising you on these things and what needs to be done to comply with building regulations.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back