Reroofing an outbuilding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My rental shares an outbuilding with the neighbour - it's a flat concrete roof that has been leaking in the middle. On the neighbour's side the council recovered the roof with felt to seal it. I'm planning to do the same to my side.

The roof slopes slightly to the front where it is channeled into a gutter. The other side and back have raised edges - about 3-4" high.

I'm a fairly competent DIY'er, but I've never done this kind of job before - Any recommendations on felt type - 2-layer right?

Do I need to put anything down first - the concrete surface has been coated with Bitumen paint the last few years. Do I need to prep the surface with anything?

Plan on overlapping the felt on the neighbours side with the first piece running back to front and finish by running the felt up the raised side and flatten on top of the wall so no possibility of water getting down behind it.

Proper gloves are of course essential - any other tools recommended here? What issues may I run into? The job doesn't need to be pretty - it's basically just a shed - I just want it watertight.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You'll need to glue it down you can get cold adhesive, or buy torch on felt

Yes - I was looking at torch on felt, although felt adhesive would be easier to use.

My understanding is that I can use felt adhesive if I put down a single layer system as you'd use on a garden shed. But if I wanted to use one of the more durable two layer systems, I'd need to torch it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back