Rerouting cables from CU

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm converting my basement into a utility room/ wine celler / WC. but I need to sort out the electrical cupboard. The Consumer Unit is fitted in a 3ftx3ft cupboard all the cables to from this fan out to go up every wall including the door posts, very pretty but not practical. I want to remove this cupboard and would like to have all the cables run up the back wall. My question is, to do this some of the cables will have to lay across other cables. Is this OK or do I have to space them out or bridge the crossovers. Can anyone enlighten me.

Sponsored Links
Yes, some will be to long but I can shorten most of them by pulling cable through on the first socket on the ring. I'm fortunate enough (if thats the right word) but the whole ceiling had to come down so everything is open. The only ones that pose the problem are the ones to the first floor.

Shouldn’t be a problem provided the cables are long enough, I would urge you to cut off excess cable rather than leaving it in a 'pile' above ceiling level.

Bear in mind that this could end up to be a fairly awkward job. Are you confident in doing this yourself? I, as an electrician never had an objection to the householder working alongside me; in fact i was glad of the help when i was on my own. Keeps costs down, but it's up to you.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply BR.
I'm not that inexperienced in electrics, but my field is more in aviation/military, hence the maybe over cautious worry about crossing cables. If there is a need to go into the CU, then in comes the tradesman.
Horses for courses and all that.

I understand, no problem whatsoever crossing cables, but don't bind then together with cable ties for example. The only problem that could arise with crossing cables is when data/coax and electrical is installed in close proximity to each other.

Cheers BR.
Now to get on with the job, well tomorrow maybe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back