cooktop cable in cupboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just had an electric cooktop installed in my kitchen benchtop. Beneath it is a cupboard on one side, and draws on the other. The electrician ran the cabling from the wall oven, through the draws/cuboards and up into the bottom of the cooktop. He has only fastened it with a plastic fastener at the top of the cable and the rest of it is loose in the back of the cupboard in a loop. My questions are - 1) is it OK to have the cabling in the cupboard or does it definitely have to be in the wall? 2) is it OK loose, or should it be secure. Everytime we open and close the draws on one side it hits the cable.

Sponsored Links
I'm not familiar with NZ wiring codes, but if they are anything like the UK ones, you are required to secure accessible cables at regular intervals. This is to avoid damage to the cable.

Sounds like your electrician needs a call.

if only :D
i rang the electrician this morning and got completely ABUSED by the manager - saying i was harrassing him and that they would not be coming back to fix it as it was completely fine and if we had a problem with it we could fix it ourselves...

My only other option i guess is to another electrician to take a look. I dont feel it is secure especially when my Burmese Kittens play with the cable if i leave the cupboard open :!:

Abuse from the manager? Did you pay the bill? ;)

Are they members of a trade organisation who you could go to for rectification work?

I mean this guy claims he is registered:

http://sites.yellow.co.nz/site/flashsparky/

Does that mean you have redress if his work is not satisfactory?

Sponsored Links
Yep - abused by the manager :!: :!:

havent received the bill yet, but i told him i wouldn't be paying.

They are Master Electricians and are all supposed to be Registered as well - im going to give the association a call and see what they have to say...

Surely even if i am wrong (i have no idea about electrical work) and it is OK like that, you'd think their customers should come first and he should come back and take a look and explain it to me :?: :!:

this is from the electrical contractors assoc of NZ site

"You can make a complaint about what a registered or authorised worker did when they carried out electrical work (or gave instructions for the work to be carried out) for you or for someone else.

However, a complaint will only progress if it is likely that a disciplinary offence has occurred, that is :

the electrical work was done in an unsatisfactory, negligent or incompetent way,
the work done did not meet the requirements of the appropriate regulations or standard,
unsafe fittings were installed,
unsafe work or fittings were concealed,
documents such as certificates of compliance were not given,
unqualified workers were allowed to do electrical work, or
the worker was not qualified. "

dee25 said:
Yep - abused by the manager :!: :!:

havent received the bill yet, but i told him i wouldn't be paying.

Hence his unhappy reaction...

Maybe the ECAoNZ will suggest that if the company rectifies their work, you will write a cheque?

Did the guy leave any paperwork?

Good luck. Let us know how you get on.

I'm off to bed. It's 4.30 am here.... ;)

Might as well get 2 hours sleep...

I told him i wouldnt pay the bill AFTER he abused me ;)

no paperwork left, absolutely nothing to say what he had done etc etc..

Thanks Securespark - just spoke to Stewart and Rogers Electrical (link you provided above) and they are coming around tomorrow to complete the work properly at a VERY reasonable price. :D

Still umming and ahhing about the other guys and if i should complain.... :confused:

Ok, good! But I thought the best idea would be to talk to the ECAoNZ to negotiate getting the job done correctly & you paying the original contractor. Will the first company be happy you have not paid, or will they demand the opportunity to put it right so they can close the account?

Take plenty of photos of it BEFORE the rectification work to substantiate your claim.

You can post them on here too. We like pictures.

Over here you would usually have to pay the original firm the agreed amount, but subtract the cost of any rectification that you had to pay someone else to do, after you had given the original contractor reasonable opportunity to rectify it.

Thats exactly the same here - i'll pay the amount minus whatever the new electrician charges me...

Hope your second recent experience of electricians is better than the first...

I'd've done it for $40.....plus plane fare & lodgings.... :LOL: :LOL:

heheh thanks ;)

i'll keep you posted re the new electrician...

OK - well the new sparky came round on friday and secured the cable - he also said it shouldnt have been left loose in the cupboard like it was.

Looks nice and tidy now ALTHOUGH, and this could just be me being paranoid, when he has hooked up the cable he very slightly damaged it on the side of the plastic mains control panel opening...its just got a little nick in it, nothing exposed, so i assume this is ok?! :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back