reset button on control box needs pressed 1st every day

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello...I have a bentone oil burner. its 6 - 7 years old. problem is, when i turn the heating on first thing in the morning nothing happens until i go out and press the reset button on the control box, everything works fine after this. ive changed the thermostat and the control box but nothings changed. its only for the first fire up this happens.....same when on timer. head is tortured having to press reset every morning...any ideas????? :confused:

Sponsored Links
The boiler may just need a good old clean out.....the air in the flue is very dense at the moment, and maybe the purge just isn't enough to shift that dense, cold air.
Have you had the thing serviced recently, and does the burner purr smoothly when its going - or does it have the occasional hiccup?
John :)

The boiler may just need a good old clean out.....the air in the flue is very dense at the moment, and maybe the purge just isn't enough to shift that dense, cold air.
Have you had the thing serviced recently, and does the burner purr smoothly when its going - or does it have the occasional hiccup?

Thanks for replying John. i serviced it just last year but i suppose there would be no harm doing it now again after this winter we're having. could run a bit smoother alright.would the solenoid valve be at fault at all? thanks again. :D

Hi shead
I always think its a good idea to take the baffles out of the boiler in a yearly basis, and give them a good scrape with a wire brush. It also gives you some clue as to how things have been burning...the soot shouldn't be oily and there are often some yellow sulphur deposits.
Also vacuum out the fire box and study the gas path as it heads for the chimney so you don't miss any heaps of soot etc.
Certainly it is not unknown for the coil on the pump solenoid to fail - usually though they fail completely, and no oil flows at all - or they fail due to heat after 15 mins or so. Therefore I wouldn't expect this.
Its also necessary to keep the photocell clean.
To properly get things sorted you need to set the pump pressure, ideally replace the nozzle to rule that out and finally do a flue gas analysis when its burning well.

Sponsored Links
Hi shead
I always think its a good idea to take the baffles out of the boiler in a yearly basis, and give them a good scrape with a wire brush. It also gives you some clue as to how things have been burning...the soot shouldn't be oily and there are often some yellow sulphur deposits.
Also vacuum out the fire box and study the gas path as it heads for the chimney so you don't miss any heaps of soot etc.
Certainly it is not unknown for the coil on the pump solenoid to fail - usually though they fail completely, and no oil flows at all - or they fail due to heat after 15 mins or so. Therefore I wouldn't expect this.
Its also necessary to keep the photocell clean.
To properly get things sorted you need to set the pump pressure, ideally replace the nozzle to rule that out and finally do a flue gas analysis when its burning well.

100% John thanks very much...ill get that done and let you know the result sure...much appreciated. :p

You're very welcome...post some more info about the boiler / burner and I'll see if I've got pump pressures, CO2 readings etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back