reseting bios password

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi can any1 tell me how to reset the cmos or know the default bios passwont word for a sony vaio nr38e as it has somehow enabled it self. dont want to phone sony up just at the min as the owner is still looking for proof of purchase for a onetime password thingy from sony,
also i think the h/d as gone as it wont boot up past the screen with the windows logo with the scrolling thing at the bottom for an hour before i forced power down. was going to replace the h/d for her but dont want to order it untill i can get the bios password off, i hope this mkes sense and anyone can help

thanks

Drew

Sponsored Links
Assuming this is a laptop and not a desktop. Can't remember having to do this on a laptop, but on desktop motherboards there's a jumper usually next to the CMOS battery labelled as jumper 1, or CLEAR, or CLR. 3 pins, pins 1 and 2 should be bridged by default. If you move the jumper to bridge pins 2 and 3 that should clear the bios back to factory settings (which should normally be a blank BIOS password). Be aware that it'll reset ALL of the BIOS, not just the password. Sometimes when you've bridged pins 2 & 3 you have to try to switch the machine on (but it won't, and that's ok). Put the jumper back on pins 1 & 2 and it should boot as normal.

As I say, not done this on a laptop so not sure if it'll work for you. If not then I suspect that you're stuck with talking to Sony.

In most motherboards CMOS battery is soldered, which makes it difficult to remove the battery. In this case we use another method.

Almost all motherboards contain a jumper that can clear all CMOS settings along with the BIOS password. The location of this jumper varies depending upon the motherboard brand. You should read your motherboard manual to check its location. If you don't have the manual then look for the jumpers near the CMOS battery. Most of the manufacturer label the jumper as CLR, CLEAR, CLEAR CMOS, etc.

When you find the jumper, look carefully. There will be 3 pins and the jumper will be joining the center pin to either left or right pin. What you need to do, is remove the jumper and join the center pin to the opposite pin. e.g. if the jumper joins center pin to left pin, then remove it and join center pin to right pin. Now wait for a few seconds and then again remove the jumper and join the center pin to left pin.

Make sure to turn the PC off before opening the cabinet and resetting the jumper.

B. By Using Software:

I have found that BIOS/CMOS Password Recovery Tool is the most effective.:
BIOS/CMOS Password Recovery Tool is a program that works instantly to remove any lost or forgotten BIOS/CMOS password. Simply boot your PC to DOS and execute the program, and get access to forgotten BIOS/CMOS passwords in just seconds

BIOS/CMOS Password Recovery Tool Service: biospasswordrecovery.com/

hi thanks for the replies, it is a laptop,
how do i get it to boot to dos, because as soon as it powers up it asks for a bios password straight after the vaios flash screen,

Sponsored Links
All modern laptop have eeprom chip. Password is stored there. If you take out cmos battery then it will not reset bios password. It is much more difficult for modern laptop to reset bios password. You have a power on BIOS password. Its not easy to reset this password. It have a question:

if you put wrong password few times does it give you any code? For some laptops it is possible to generate master passwod.
You will loose all data on hard drive.

Hardsest option is taking out the motherboard and find the eeprom chip. Read the contents of the eeprom chip by soldering an eeprom programmer . Decipher the meaning of the contents of the eeprom chip because the contents are encrypted. You will need an eeprom programmer. And a lot of skills. Big matter and very very hard.

This BIOS password problem is big matter. I have an hp 2710p laptop. I still could not recover the password. I paid someone at ebay. Did not work. Got refund. But for a DELL laptop I was able to recover password.

So, it will depend on your laptop. If it gives a code when you enter wrong password then you have a good chance of generating a master password.

Hope you understand.

SU

yeah it gives a code for a onetime password, have passed on the code and waiting for her to phone sony and get password

cheers for the help and will let you know the outcome

just a quick update, after a phone call to sony i now have the one time password and have resetted the bios password, just gotta check the hard drive as i thought that it is the reason why the laptop wouldnt boot in the 1st place, gonna hook the h/d to a another pc and check it
many thanks for your help

Drew

Sponsored Links
Back