Restoring a stone floor covered in latex screed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our kitchen floor is solid stone and covered with lino. To level the floor some form of latex screed was put over it.
We have been chipping it off. Some bits are obstinate. Is there a chemical we can use to remove and clean ?

Once removed can the stone floor be sanded and polished to level it better and remove stain ?

Sponsored Links
What type of stone/tile is it? You have a long road ahead! You have to get the bulk of it off mechanically, ie a spade then scraper/ chisel. You will have to use chemicals to get the end of it off as sanding it doesn't work.

I think you can buy latex remover but it is expensive and quite toxic i think, there are all sorts of things to try though but to get the rough off heating it up a little and scraping is the first step.

Nitromors will turn the remenants to a sort of soft scum which can be scrubbed off with fine wire wool, i hear washing soda works too but haven't tried it myself.

If its a big area, ie more than 30sq, or particularly soft/ easily damaged stone i would seriously consider getting in the pros.

Thanks. Not sure what type of stone it is- but about 300 years old. Lrge slaps of about 2ft by 2ft.

We have started chipping off but stubborn in a few places and some bits of latex left behind. Will try your suggestions. We have about 300 sq ft.

Some of the stone surfaces are a little soft and wonder best to sand down and stabilise in some way to smoothe over.

Is there a stone cleaner that can be recommended ?

If it is soft at all i'd thoroughly recommend finidng out what it is exactly before putting anything on it.

If you put mortar acid on it and it turns out to be some kind of limestone or sandstone it could badly discolour it irretreivibly.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back