Restoring wooden floors.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello guys,

I’ve just finished laying my wooden floors back down after they had to all be taken up on the ground floor for work. I’m planning on sanding them back once I’ve finished nailing then down with a rented sander. What’s the best product on the market to fill any slight gaps in the floor boards and dents from general wear?

I have bought Sadolin Heavy Duty Varnish PV67 to varnish the floors with once the floors have been sanded.

Thanks in advance

James

Sponsored Links
Hi
For filling the gaps in wood block you could use Lecol 7500 which is solvent based or Bona Mix &Fill which is waterbased. The Bona one is fine for gaps up to 2mm the Lecol will go up to around 5mm gaps.

My only other thought is your lacquer.
I have bought Sadolin Heavy Duty Varnish PV67 to varnish the floors with once the floors have been sanded.

James

Although the Sadolin PV67 is a strong lacquer, it is also a professional product due the nature of the ingredients. Just take a look at the safety data sheet.
http://www.sadolin.co.uk/global_assets/pdf/msds/Sadolin_PV67.PDF

If you do use this product make sure you ventilate the room, and wear breathing masks at the very least.
Cheers
TT

Thank you for coming back to me. Re the breathing mask, I'm guessing it would have to be a chemical based breathing mask.

Regarding the filler,

I'm assuming what you recommend is the top dogs stuff, is there anything a bit cheaper?

Thanks

J

Hi
For filling the gaps in wood block you could use Lecol 7500 which is solvent based or Bona Mix &Fill which is waterbased. The Bona one is fine for gaps up to 2mm the Lecol will go up to around 5mm gaps.

My only other thought is your lacquer.

James

Although the Sadolin PV67 is a strong lacquer, it is also a professional product due the nature of the ingredients. Just take a look at the safety data sheet.
http://www.sadolin.co.uk/global_assets/pdf/msds/Sadolin_PV67.PDF

If you do use this product make sure you ventilate the room, and wear breathing masks at the very least.
Cheers
TT

Would this be suitable?

http://www.screwfix.com/p/3m-maintenance-free-respirator/13038

Thanks

james

Sponsored Links
Do note that the Lecol7500 is SINCE JUNE 2010 not longer produced by the Dutch manufacturer. They announced this in their oh so green newsletter early last year. Then it always comes in handy we still can read Dutch ;)

However, when we reported this in our own newsletter Lecol UK told us off: it will be available in the UK for the time being (yeap, until the stock runs out, meaning everything you still can get your hands on is old product from before June 2010. Same applies for the parquet adhesive Lecol5500).

We recently tested Blanchon resin filler - not smelling as bad as the old Lecol7500 and drying much quicker than the Bona Mix & Fill. We're about to add this product to our ranges of fitting & finishing materials.

Do note that the Lecol7500 is SINCE JUNE 2010 not longer produced by the Dutch manufacturer. They announced this in their oh so green newsletter early last year. Then it always comes in handy we still can read Dutch ;)

However, when we reported this in our own newsletter Lecol UK told us off: it will be available in the UK for the time being (yeap, until the stock runs out, meaning everything you still can get your hands on is old product from before June 2010. Same applies for the parquet adhesive Lecol5500).

We recently tested Blanchon resin filler - not smelling as bad as the old Lecol7500 and drying much quicker than the Bona Mix & Fill. We're about to add this product to our ranges of fitting & finishing materials.

thanks for the response. Is that in response to my hardiner post :)

No that is just WoodYouLike promoting Blanchon;)

I am sure that if you contact Sadolin direct they can supply you a hardener as a spare part.

The mask looks good, probably a good investment.

There is also a new Bona Mix & Fill Plus which will probably be as good as the Blanchon and easier to find.

Cheers

TT

You could consider it general information ;) And yes, we're always promoting those products we use ourselves and give best value for money. For some products this may be Blanchon, for others Saicos and again others F.Ball (for instance the B91 as replacement of the Lecol5500).

On its own my reply was more a rant against companies that think they can be different shades of green, depending on the country they sell in ;)

Thanks guys,

I contacted Sedolin and they said they couldnt provide the hardiner seperately :(

Wish me luck

Another very good filler which is well worth a mention is Junckers Basefill...

Very similar to Lecol 7500 to use and in appearance, it's solvent based so is fairly strong smelling, but the smell goes after 15-20 minuntes, and it dries really quiclky as well, certainly much quicker than the water based fillers.

Spent three days sandering the floors this weekend. Lounge dinning room and hall. The floors were covered in plaster cement and paint prior to sanding and looked knackared.. They now look awsome.. just gotta varnish them

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back