Retainer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Before taking up a building job, the builder agreed to a 30% retainer to be paid on completion, it was 30% because we didn;t know him so it may have been a little high but he agreed to it. So far he has been a pain in the ass. Alway disappearing on other jobs and our job has over run by 3 weeks, twice as long as it should have done.

Now he is saying to me he's ran out of money and he needs me to pay him some of the retainer now so he can pay for materials other wise the job cannot continue. If he was a trust worthy guy I would probably have done it but this guy has constantly lied to me.

However I would have he's only achieved 50% of the work done so far. How do i approach this. I don't want it to get messy where we get solicitors involved and I don't want to pay him anymore money because that would make me so uncomfortable.

Any advice on this stalemate?

Sponsored Links
Value the work completed to date, plus materials delivered to site, pay for that and get rid of him.

If he argues, include your claims for losses due to project overrun, and expenses in finding a replacement, and his beach of contract

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back