Retaining Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I am currently building a drive in my front garden.

Please can someone tell me how to build a retaining wall that will retain backfill and eventually have a drive installed on the surface?

What will the wall be constructed of and also how?

Also i need advice on the footing of the said wall?

If you need more information just let me know.

Thanks Fred

Sponsored Links
What is the height of the ground that you wish to retain? Is the ground beneath the proposed wall to be made up or is it existing?

Sponsored Links
Hi fred, your wall would be mainly constructed out of concrete block, but it can have an outer skin of brickwork, rockface block or whatever finish you like.

The footing will have to go on solid ground, so you'll have to dig down until your in to solid clay, this could be 12,24,36 inches etc.. i'd personally go for 12" deep concrete. and probably 650-750mm wide

As a general rule the wall should be as thick as between a 3rd and a quarter of the height its retaining. If theres a drive going on top of the wall i'd go for a 3rd. So if its retaining a metre from ground level up, i'd start off with a block on flat width ways until i get above ground level (440mm wide) lay 4 courses of 1 on flat and 1 upright (330mm) 4 courses on flat (225mm) and 1 upright (100mm)

weepholes(2"pipe) should be built in the wall appro 150mm above ground level at approx 900mm centres for drainage

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back