Reversing doors on Indesit Ban 12NF Fridge Freezer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Trying to reverse the doors but when I swap the hinges from one side to the other the fridge door sits about 10ml higher.They don't seem to be reversible but the manual says they are. Tearing my hair out any suggestions much appreciated

Sponsored Links
Some require a set of 'left handed' hinges supplied by the manufacturer. The hinge pins are usually offset from a true vertical line to automatically take up the expected 'sag' that occurs when you load half a dozen or so milk bottles in the fridge door.

@taylrt.

Did you ever get this sorted? I have exactly the same problem and speaking to the reatiler we bought from they say it's nothing to do with them and the only thing to do is to call out Indesit engineer and pay for the work!!

Any solution would be great..

Alex

Generally the top hinge is swapped for the bottom hinge when you reverse sides.
You may have nylon bushes on the hinge pins which need to be put in the right places.
Most of the indesit/hotpoint fridge freezers I have installed and had to change door sides on recently, I have had to drill new holes for the centre hinge as the pre drilled holes or marks were not in alignment and meant the hinge would be in the wrong place.

Sponsored Links
BAAN 12 FRIDGE/FREEZER

The process of reversing the doors was fairly straightforward swapping and reversing pieces from one side to the other using the sparse diagram instructions (non written) which came with the product.

However on preparing to reattach the freezer door to its new place when you screw in the 3 screws through the hinge holes and into the holes within the actual white frame of the freezer there is not a full tightening grip contact with the plastic-thats because its just the white plastic.
There is no contact material/metal plate behind or within the white plastic for the screws to grip onto so when attached the door is loose and after very little use this will sag and hang off. I cannot leave the freezer door like that.

On the side the door was removed from on inspection into the previous screw holes there is metal and white in the ridges where the screws were removed - a metal contact plate must lie behind the frame for the screws to attach to and give a stable hold , but it is only on this side! Is this a design fault or default or is something missing, I called Indesit.

It is 2 months old and still under the so called 'labour, parts and call out free' waranty guarantee by Indesit for 12 months however calling the 0844 number provided by Indesit proved worthless.

On explaining the problem , I was told an engineer can come out and reverse the doors at a £60 charge. I explained I didnt need an engineer as I can reverse them myself and if an engineer did come out it as it stands their is no attachment material behind the frame for the screws and it the door would still not be fully stable.

I was trying to ask if this was the design or a design fault or is a piece missing? To attach a piece would mean disassembling the whole unit and not a DIY solution? ...I was put through to the spare parts dept and asked if I want to buy a part (buy as its not under the warranty) to which I exlained the 'part' would be the frame ?

So no answer came but lots of offers to buy parts or services and the statement 'I'm not an engineer' came on my querying if all the Indesits BAAN 12s come this way?.

I was told to return the product to Argos and I asked if I did get a replacement (which is over the 28 days return policy now anyway and I have no way of transporting it), would the same problem be on the new one anyway? Its impossible to know without removing the front cover...so there is no answer or anyone able to answer at Indesit.

Good luck to others if your attempting to reverse hope you dont have this problem too? But it seems the reversable doors on my product is just a fantasy... not a reality.

These reviews I found confirms my experience and gave me more info, thank you ...

http://www.which.co.uk/home-and-gar...idge-freezers/indesit-ban12nf/customer-views/

http://www.reevoo.com/p/indesit-ban12#review_772779
Confirmed purchaser
Score 5.0/10 Good points:Cheap, good storage, although Baan13* range has a bigger freezer Bad points:The build quality is poor. Having switched the door hinge the bottom hinge is loose and I cannot tighten the base pin. The engineer said this was typical for the model. Build Quality 3.0
Design 5.0
Capacity 7.0
Energy consumption 8.0
Value for money 5.0
Overall rating 5.0
Was this review helpful? Yes |No 16 of 16 people found this review helpful Confirmed purchase:
30 Jun 200

If you look at the Indesit manual very carefully - and it is not at all clear - there is a lower hinge backing plate behind the grey plastic strip that slides out and can be refitted on the other side so you can screw the lower door bracket in and it is secured properly. The fridge freezer is best on its back or side to do this. Not easy, but do-able and while not well designed - why not a backing plate on both sides? - not a fatal design fault.

I think that after a period of over twelve months they have either done the job or bought a new one.

Thanks for replies, hope it helps others.
I ended up just putting them back as started :(

If you look at the Indesit manual very carefully - and it is not at all clear - there is a lower hinge backing plate behind the grey plastic strip that slides out and can be refitted on the other side so you can screw the lower door bracket in and it is secured properly. The fridge freezer is best on its back or side to do this. Not easy, but do-able and while not well designed - why not a backing plate on both sides? - not a fatal design fault.

Hi,
The backing plate has to be reused for the other side.
It's difficult to remove, I had to put the fridge on its side and ease it out of its hole using a small thin screwdriver.

Hi All

After reading the replies on this thread. Regarding the BAN 12NF door reverse. I am having issues with the very top hinge, as you can see the top hinge will not fit if moved over to the left.

I have drilled the two holes for the middle hinge ok and this and the bottom hinge transfer over. But the top is an issue.

Can anyone help.

The top hinge should swap over to the left and you invert it. You will need the correct doorbushes supplied in the iinstructions. The bush in the door must also be used. I have had to use force to get the door under the hinge before refitting the pin

Hi

So the top hinge is in the correct position? I had two left hand plastic brackets which go at the bottom of the door, these were fitted. So the bush I had in the right side should not be used in the left is that correct?

The instructions make it look so easy.

Regards

Paul

The top hinge should swap over to the left and you invert it. You will need the correct doorbushes supplied in the iinstructions. The bush in the door must also be used. I have had to use force to get the door under the hinge before refitting the pin

Read more: //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=3243937#3243937#ixzz3ItarQRBs

I guess the product is under 12 months. Door revesal is 79 pound by indesit. 08448 224 224. Or take out extended warranty cover during the Gtee period this will cover your issue.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back