Reverting gas fire back to open fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our Victorian house has fireplaces in nearly every room, it's unclear if they're original but are period (the ones in the reception rooms seem quite small).

In the main living room, the working fireplace was fitted with a gas fire. We want to return to an open fire. Is it likely the flue will have been left untouched when this was done and therefore since an authentic grate and fireplace is there, we could just lay a fire in it (other than the gas pipe obviously)?

Since the flue is already in use, would the building regulations about new flues/liners apply, strictly speaking?

The fireplace seems to have some damp issues (https://www.diynot.com/diy/bookmarks/?type=post&id=3921636) so would having it lit be helpful to dry it out?

Sponsored Links
I would think you would at least be best to have the gas pipe disconnected at source & have the chimney swept, which would show if the flue is clear & has enough updraft (sweeps have to use smoke bombs to be able to certify their work nowadays). Might be best to ask in building regs section for advice on the liner, but I know you would need one for a stove of any type.

The gas fire seems to indicate a good draft but yes it would get swept as a matter of course - who knows what birds might be up there!

If the thing had been capped I'm certain you have to follow the regs but I was hoping I could sneak this through... the benefit of the old-school flue is it heats the room above right?

Taking the gas pipe away would be sensible but people did use to have "gas pokers" so theoretically a metal gas pipe is not in itself dangerous, only one that leaks is. The bits that would get hot from a fire already get hot in a gas fire so again theoretically, setting a real fire without removing anything wouldn't go bang (I won't be trying it).

I couldn't see a sub-forum for fires and things... do they have a natural home or does it depend on the question?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back