Rewire - what do I look for

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Am buying an untouched 70s property soon and have looked at the wiring behind a socket and it looks good but what should I look for when deciding whether to go for a rewire?

It has a recent meter but the fuses are the old style so it could do with a modern fuse box

Sponsored Links
Not an exhaustive list but look out for:-

Poorly carried out add-ons (with messy mains position)
Lack of spare ways or inability to add a decent electric shower if required.
Dis-coloured/ heat damaged fittings and/or lighting pendants.
Twisted pendant flexes.
No cpcs in lighting circuits.
Lack of RCD protection for socket outlets
Signs of regularly blown fuses
Old rubber, lead or brittle pvc cable.
Insufficient socket outlets
Lack of/inadequate main protective bonding to incoming services (gas/water/oil etc)
Taped up or untidy cable joints under floors or in walls
Rodent damage underfloors or in lofts.
Untidy/ poorly routed cabling in lofts or under floors

Only an electrician who can see the property will be able to tell you for sure if it needs a complete rewire or remedials.

cheers

will get someone in to tidy up if nothing else

You clearly have many extras. This may not be a bad thing but if you want to add RCD protection you have two routes.

New consumer unit/s

RCD's in a box which then in turn power the consumer units.

RCD's although a great safety feature also cause a lot of problems. Personally I would like to see all double pole RCD's but this is unlikely to happen.

So first job is to look at the existing installation. Since you have all fuses then likely best idea is new consumer unit/s.

Because of LABC charges likely best to get a scheme member electrician to do the work.

So assuming an electrician will do the work your problem is to decide how many RCD's.

You could use 10 RCBO's (RCB and MCB combined) or 2 RCD's or double row consumer unit with 4 RCD's.

So advantage and disadvantage of few and many RCD's.
With many RCD's less likely any one will fail without cause but if it does fail you may not notice. Also the RCBO is not as good as the best quality RCD in not tripping with the like of electric storms. Good quality like X-Pole will not trip as much as low quality so it's very much a balancing act and to say which is best is hard.

So read about RCD's and make up your mine on them, but leave rest to electrician.

Sponsored Links
cheers

What could I expect to pay to tidy this up with a new consumer board

Think hard about where to have sockets - it's difficult to have too many, and also about what circuits to have. The items on the list below won't all apply to you, but they are worth thinking about:

• Upstairs sockets
  • Downstairs sockets (or a L/R or front/rear split)
  • Kitchen sockets
  • Circuit for appliances
  • Cooker circuit
  • Non-RCD circuit for F/F
  • Non-RCD circuit for CH boiler
  • Dedicated circuit for hifi
  • Dedicated circuit for IT equipment
  • Upstairs lights
  • Downstairs lights
  • Lighting circuits with switches in the usual places but with 2A/5A round pin sockets at low level.
  • Immersion heater
  • Loft lights
  • Shower
  • Bathroom circuit
  • Alarms
  • Supply for outside lights
  • Supply for garden electrics
  • Supply for shed/garage
Plus any peculiarities brought about by your house layout & construction - e.g. in mine because of solid floors and where the socket circuits run, I have a radial just for a socket in the hall, the doorbell and the porch lights.

Unless you want to go to the expense of RCBOs throughout, the CU should have at least 3 sections, 2 on RCDs and one not into which you can install a mix of RCBOs and MCBs.

It can be a good idea to put all wiring in conduit for ease of future changes. And if you specify metal conduit for switch drops, or BS 8436 cable it removes the need to have RCDs where you'd rather not.

If you live somewhere where supplies are dodgy in the winter, have the lights, the boiler supply, and a socket in each room wired to a separate CU, or a separate section in a large one, that can be supplied by an emergency generator - lights, heating, TV and a kettle/microwave make life a lot more bearable.

Flood-wiring with Cat6 or Cat6a cable is worth thinking about.

As ever, personal recommendations are always the best way to find a reputable tradesman, but if you're having to go ahead without much in the way of those, or references, don't put any store by registration itself - sadly it is possible to become registered with woefully inadequate qualifications and zero practical experience. You don't have to spend long here to see people cropping up who are registered and "qualified", but who are clearly seriously incompetent in reality and who should not be charging for their services.

If you are looking for someone to rewire a house, it may surprise and dismay you to learn that it is quite possible to become a "certified electrician" without ever having done that before, and without having acquired any of the practical skills needed to do it without half-destroying your house in the process.

It's your money, possibly £'000s of it, and you have every right to ask prospective tradesmen what their qualifications and experience are. Just being listed here is not a good enough guide. No genuinely experienced electrician, with the "full set" of C&G qualifications will mind you asking - in fact he will wish that everyone was like you.

I feel sorry for people who have been misled by training organisations and (shamefully) the Competent Person scheme organisers into thinking that a 5-day training course, a couple of trivial examples of their work and some basic understanding of how to use test equipment will make them an electrician, but not sorry enough to agree with them trying to sell their services to Joe Public.

I note your "buying the house" at present, commission an Electrical Installation Condition Report. Cost around £130 to £250.00 depending on house and area. You will enter the contract then with your eyes open and may well be able to use it as a negotiating tool.

If you decide to purchase without this, get some local electricians, preferably recommended.

Ask them to come and quote for a rewire. It will be free to do so unless they insist on a Electrical Installation Condition Report. Most will not and a good one will happily spend an hour with you discussing your requirements and then it will become clear.

When i get calls like yours, i happily go and chat, inspect and test a few selected positions to show and explain the reasons for my recommendations and costs. Should be no problem.

Very very unlikely a 70s house would need a rewire and I would need quite a lot of evidence to change my mind.

However - 70s houses don't have enough sockets in the right places so use the moving/redecorating time to add them. Also if you think you need them put in audio visual/alarm/network points etc etc etc.

But a rewire, very unlikely to be needed.

cheers

plenty of sockets etc
I went round with a layout marking where each socket was and thought plaster over that, and that and........

nice to have enough but I hate sockets in view everywhere, id rather have an extension lead

You need to be careful with extension leads, they can only provide a maximum of 13 amps, and if you have a double socket that still can only provide a maximum of 13 amps. So you could have 12 sockets are fed off one socket and you can easily overload it. At best you will have problems with fuses frequently blowing at worse you could have a fire.

So I would leave all the sockets in but of course you can change them for nicer looking ones.

I would certainly want that consumer unit changing accidents do happen and you will be much safer with RCDs especially as the existing wires are probably buried in plaster with no conduit.

Edit I would want an electrician to check all those sockets though, to make sure they are wired in correctly and are not just spurs of spurs etc.

nice to have enough but I hate sockets in view everywhere, id rather have an extension lead
So you think that extension leads trailing across the floors look better than sockets on walls.....

Nowt so queer as folk, is there.

I explained that there were sockets I would have got rid of as there were obviously too many and should I need to do so I would use an extension lead

Im sure if you use an extension somewhere

I have seen 2 lots of double sockets a few inches above the same in a small lounge which is rediculous
This is the sort of thing I would not have

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back