Rewired in 1986, but with a spade fuse consumer unit?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm thinking of buying a house, and the HIP says it was completely rewired in 1986, but some of the wiring looks like bad DIY and I've got my doubts about when it was done.

The consumer unit is cartridge/spade type rather than having circuit breakers - does that sound like 1986, or did CBs come in later?

Cheers

Liam

Sponsored Links
Nothing wrong with cartridge fuses as long as the circuits are compliant with them. Just a little inconvienient if you are unlucky enough to blow one...

Can you get a photo of the installation and post it here? It's hard to make any sort of judgement without seeing it.

Cartridge fuses fitted in 1986 would be very likely.
Although circuit breakers were available then, they certainly weren't standard for new installations.

Even if the information in the HIP is correct, all kinds of alterations and additions could have been made since then by dozens of different people.
The 'rewire' could have been done to a very high standard, exceptionally poorly or anything in between.

All of the information in a HIP should be ignored, since the majority of it is completely unproveable and therefore worthless.

Sponsored Links
Thanks everyone.

I suspect it is a rewire with DIY "enhancements" - like the 6mm T&E nailed to the fence going to the garage and "protected" with plastic cover that you use under plaster!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back