rewiring 2 way switches

Sponsored Links
how do i convert an existing set of 2 way switches into 2 one way switches?

Why would you want to do that?
A little more info would help, what are your intentions?

We currently have a room with 60 spotlights in it. These are switched in rings so that we can have various amounts lit. We have one of the rings as a 2 way. I wish to convert on of the 2 way switches to a one way so I can pick out 2 spots individually for effect.

Thanks for your help
Cheers

The two spots will need to be removed from the rest of the chain of spots,
then a supply live neutral and earth then linked across the two spots and switch drop cables to the switch.
The chain should then be link/connected back to rest of the lights for continuity.

Sponsored Links
The two spots will need to be removed from the rest of the chain of spots,
then a supply live neutral and earth then linked across the two spotst and switch drop cables to the switch.
The chain should then be link/connected back to rest of the lights for continuity.

We currently have a room with 60 spotlights in it.
Is this room:

a) The size of a football pitch.

Or

b) An example of how stupidly useless and wasteful spotlights are at lighting up rooms.

?

Can't see it being in a private dwelling then, in which case there are all sorts of legal issues - possibilities include the EAWR, licensing, public liability insurance conditions...

Get an electrician.

Can't see it being in a private dwelling then, in which case there are all sorts of legal issues - possibilities include the EAWR, licensing, public liability insurance conditions...

Get an electrician.

It is an 85m2 extension....none of the above apply (sorry) My electrician is on holiday...hence the request for advice

If you go to wiki there will be advise and circuit diagrams.
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting:two_way_lighting
You need to disconnect the two spot lights you wish to switch separately, then take a feed from the circuit to those two spots, link the the two spots up.
Then at the spot that the live/neutral/earth supply is connected, a two core and earth from that point to the two way switch, then run a three core and earth from that switch to the other two way switch, this will give you a two way function.
Your switch plates will need replacing with an extra gang for these lights to be connected to.
You will also have to link the other 58 spots back together.
Just out of interest what size load is on the circuit and what current rating is the breaker?

It is an 85m2 extension....none of the above apply (sorry) My electrician is on holiday...hence the request for advice

That's it!! - I'm going to become an electrician...........they get more holidays than teachers, if you go by the posts on this forum! :D

That's it!! - I'm going to become an electrician...........they get more holidays than teachers, if you go by the posts on this forum! :D

All sorted now. Thanks for your help prenticeboyof derry. To put your mind at ease .... the spots are on 5 separate rings ( 10amp breakers each one) :p

once again .... thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back