Rewiring Victorian house in good state of decoration?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When I bought my first house (Victorian) I had it completely rewired, then redecorated each room. As all lighting wiring had to be put in chased conduits I had no option but to remove the wallpaper from each room afterwards - and in most cases found most of the plaster came off too, resulting in a huge mess, huge expense of replastering and costing me lots of time that I hadn't envisaged.

I've just bought a new house. Again Victorian. This one has rather nice wallpaper in good condition in every room which I'd like to retain, especially knowing that (i) it's hard to remove and (ii) removing it will doubtless bring the plaster down with it resulting in yet more pain. And I just haven't got the budget or the time to totally redecorate the house before moving in.

But the electrics look like they just came out of a time warp - one single socket (mounted proud of the wall) in each room just above the skirting, lights suspended from yellowing cables in the ceilings and yellowing light switches. I've not had it inspected yet but I strongly suspect it's going to need some rewiring.

OK so the question - are there any shortcuts I can take to get the house rewired without affecting the wallpaper or the integrity of the plaster? Getting up floorboards isn't a problem - the house will be empty for a few weeks before I move in during which time I'm planning to sand and stain all the floors (but once that's done I don't want to have to get them up again). Here's my thoughts on rewiring:

(i) run all cables that go between floors along existing vertical conduits that are fairly innocuous and are near the front door for carrying the central heating pipes;
(ii) avoid the need to wreck the wallpaper and plaster by carefully cutting out holes for double sockets in the position of existing sockets, and adding the many new sockets I would need just above skirting board, with cabling behind skirting board. Is it possible to chisel out just enough plaster to allow a socket to be recessed without damaging the surrounding plaster/wallpaper?
(iii) is it possible to make some use of the existing light switch wires, as I suspect they won't be conduited behind the plaster so pulling new wire through isn't going to work? For instance, could they be connected to a low voltage circuit that controls the light fittings? I've also read a few overseas forum posts about fitting wall switch boxes that aren't connected to the mains as they have a battery and wireless transmitter to turn the lights on - but I can't find any links to any UK distributors and don't know if they would be aesthetically in keeping with a "period" house. I'm considering having traditional candle bulb style LED lights throughout the house - big initial expense but cheap running costs and no more blown bulbs, if that makes any difference.

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
1. Yes, provided the cables are separated from the heating pipes, the pipes should be insulated.

2. Possibly, all depends on how good the plaster is. If it's the sort which has turned to dry sand, then probably not. Worth having a go anyway.

3. It's possible, but will be significantly more expensive and complex - and if the cabling is old rubber insulated, it may not be suitable for use at any voltage.
Battery operated radio switches are available, but again will be a substantial cost.
If the wiring is old, it's actually fairly likely that conduits will have been used.

Thanks Flameport - that's very helpful.

Do you have any links to battery operated wall light switches? I've not been able to find anything with Google that simply allows a box on the wall to control a light in the ceiling of the same room wirelessly (but plenty of wireless gizmos that let me control lights from my iphone or TV remote which I don't need).

Even better would be any such wall switches that would not look out of place in a Victorian house (e.g. brass rather than than white plastic).

Cost isn't an issue (up to a point) given that if I have to cut channels in the wall for new lighting cables I'll end up having to replaster and redecorate each room which will cost more in time and possibly more in money than wireless switches.

2. Possibly, all depends on how good the plaster is. If it's the sort which has turned to dry sand, then probably not. Worth having a go anyway.
I live in a part Victorian, part Georgian house. In the Victorian parts, in those places where original plaster survives, it comes in two different flavours - some is 'sand' and some appears to be 'reinforced concrete' (or 'granite'!) - both are utterly disastrous when it comes trying to sink holes for back boxes or chases for cables! I just hope that the OP has happier experiences!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
There are wireless light switches
LUM_EST_1.jpg
but clearly not wireless sockets.

There is decorative trunking
GFGX3800.JPG
but rather expensive.

There is also alternatives to twin and earth Ali-tube
6768guardiannew.gif
can be made to follow skirting or picture rail without looking too much like cable and the white does blend in better than grey.

But all these cost and not sure if at the end of the day if any cheaper than re-plaster.

To me wall paper is the real problem carefully cutting groves in plaster you can often get away with it but with wall paper if you finish flush once wall paper is removed then it is proud so surface is really only option.

We simply don't know how old your wiring is, or what condition it is.

Your light switches may be yellowing, but if the cables are PVC and an earth wire is present, then they may be ok. 50 year old PVC cable may be as good as the day it was put in. However, it can deteriorate.

However, the cables may be rubber or similar, and absolutely shot.

The thing to remember is that in the old days it was very common to use conduit buried in the walls, as things were done properly then. So you may be lucky.

You may well be able to cut socket boxes in the wall just above the skirting board, but if the plaster is old, I suspect more plaster than you would like could come away. Another problem is by screwing the socket faceplate to the wall will disturb the old plaster round the box, so it could go a bit wrong.

Using surface mounted boxes may be the answer until you are ready to decorate again.

Thanks all - clearly until I have the house electrically tested I can't know how good the lighting circuits are, other than that they look similar to how they looked in my current house and replacing them (and all the plaster too) was a nightmare. In a way I'm less bothered about the ring mains since I can always surface mount and there's less disruption to plastwork.

Are there any traditional-looking wireless light switches or surface mounted sockets that I should consider? Most surface mounted boxes I've seen so far are just ugly and utilitarian - it would be helpful to know if nicer ones exist that would not look out of place in a period property. Ditto with wireless battery operated switches, though I must admit I've been stumped finding any so far that would simply bolt onto existing wall warts. What should I be looking for?

EDIT - I just discovered that you can get oak or brass pattresses and surface mounted wall boxes which I think would look just right as well as avoiding the need to replaster. Just need to find the same style of remote wall light switches now - any suggestions?

Owain and Davelx:

Thanks so much - that's exactly the sort of thing I was looking for and didn't know if it existed. A transmitter, receiver and wooden pattress for each room of the house isn't going to be as cheap as a B&Q wired wall switch - but it's going to be a lot cheaper and far less headache than the alternative of knocking down all the plaster and recorating the entire house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back