Reworded RCD Poll

When a diyer wants to add a socket should we "go on and on" (to the same OP) about RCD Protection?

• Yes. If OP 'rejects' advice re required RCD protection, we should keep "going on and on" about it.

Votes: 14 48.3%
  • No. Just make the OP aware of the requirement for RCD protection, but don't keep repeating it

Votes: 15 51.7%

• Total voters
AFAIAC, anybody pathetic enough to do that has nothing to say which is of any value whatsoever.
Maybe not, but if they don't get caught, then their view "which has no value whatsoever" can be bias the apparent results of the poll. Whenever there is 'voting' there is quite likely to be some abuse.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
As I said in response to a similar comment/question at the very start of this thread, I've already used up all of the available characters for the poll question and poll answers.
Ah, there's a maximum number of characters for all of the answer options, not just a maximum for each answer? I hadn't realized that.

Ah, there's a maximum number of characters for all of the answer options, not just a maximum for each answer? I hadn't realized that.
No, a maximum number of characters for each answer option, but I used virtually all of the available for each of my two.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Ah, see what you mean now. Perhaps a poll with the more detailed explanation of the answers set out in the first post? That would assume that everybody read what was expected before jumping in to vote based just upon the text in the poll answers themselves, so probably would need the latter to be just something like A, B, C etc. to force people into reading properly.

Ah, see what you mean now. Perhaps a poll with the more detailed explanation of the answers set out in the first post? That would assume that everybody read what was expected before jumping in to vote based just upon the text in the poll answers themselves, so probably would need the latter to be just something like A, B, C etc. to force people into reading properly.
Yes, I did consider that approach, particularly given that I am not known for my brevity :) - but I decided that a significant number of people would probably not bother to read the definitions of A, B, C etc., and hence not vote, if I did that.

Kind Regards, John

Since I remain surprised by voting in the current RCD poll, I wonder if this is a consequence of the wording of the poll question - so I would be interested to see if this slightly reworded/clarified version gets different results.

My surprise relates to the fact that I would not have thought that many people would see merit in "going on and on" (about anything) to the same OP.

Kind Regards, John

Can't you re-word the poll again?

You see, for outdoor sockets or downstairs sockets likely to get used for outdoor work I would say there is a definite case to be going on and on about RCDs, yet somehow I would be going on and on about an upstairs bedroom socket...

Can't you re-word the poll again?
One can't edit a poll - only 'start again' - but if you wanted an 'outside sockets' etc. option, you had the original poll.
You see, for outdoor sockets or downstairs sockets likely to get used for outdoor work I would say there is a definite case to be going on and on about RCDs, yet somehow I would be going on and on about an upstairs bedroom socket...
Well, as you will realise, I don't personally believe that there is ever any point in "going on and on" about anything.

I have to say that I wonder whether the 'outdoor equipment' argument is not somewhat overplayed. Given that the great majority of 'outdoor equipment' is Class II, and only supplied with 2-core cable, about the only likely situation in which an RCD would help would be if someone chopped a cable, an OPD did not operate and they touched the live cut end of the cable (whilst they were in contact with earth). I'm not sure how probable that actually is. Over the years I have managed to chop a good few leads (mainly hedge cutters) and in every case an OPD (although rarely the fuse in the plug!) has operated.

Nevertheless, as I've said all along, I certainly believe that we should make sure that an OP is aware of the regulatory requirement for new sockets to be RCD-protected, perhaps even more so if it's a socket likely to be used for outdoor equipment. However, if they acknowledge, but decide not to comply with, that requirement, I don't see what "going on and on" about it is likely to achieve.

Kind Regards, John

And that opens up a whole new argument which seemed to cause a lot of debate when that was the current rule in BS7671: Just which sockets were/are "likely" to be used for powering equipment used outside?

P.S. Actually, was "likely" the term used in that edition or was it something else? I can't remember the precise wording now.

See, the thing with these recent polls is that it has awaken my interest in the need for RCDs. What with the stories you hear about people cutting through garden tools flexes and the like, theses threads have inspired me now to ensure users of this site make RCD provision. Before I may not have even mentioned it.

What with the stories you hear about people cutting through garden tools flexes and the like, theses threads have inspired me now to ensure users of this site make RCD provision.
Fair enough, but your efforts would probably be of even more potential value if you first campaigned to have manufacturers of garden tools compelled to fit (slightly more expensive) 3-core cables to their products!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back